Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spayed - now humping

I got the following and wonder what would cause this. I have not heard of it and wonder if something funny is going on.

" Bella seems to be a little different after her spaying. She goes to have her stitches out on Wed., but she has become very "sexually aware"? She wants to mount and hump, especially me maybe because I'm the one she is always with. She never did that before...have you come across this at all with any other dogs?"

Bella is 17 months old and has been through 2 seasons.

Re: Spayed - now humping

I'm thinking this is not so much a "sexual" thing as an age and social structure thing. If she is an only dog and she is allowed to be on a similar level as her two legged family members, she's now a teenager. Spayed or not she would testing the waters for who really is the boss in the house and dogs have, simply put, a different language than ours.
I suggest no more sleeping the the human bed or sitting on the couch with the humans and a training class could be very helpful.
I have seen this happen with my children and Teen aged dogs as they tend to be more on the same level. I get my kiddos to handle the the pup on leash with some obedience drills and rework their social structure.

Good luck :)

Re: Spayed - now humping

Hopefully once your girl's hormones settle down, she will too.