Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beagles

A dear friend would like a beagle puppy and has started her search. I am looking for referrals for quality Beagle breeders, please email me offline with any recommendations and/or things to be aware of. Wondering too, if the "nano" Beagle is the equivalent of the "silver" Lab.....thanks.

Re: Beagles

Maria, I've never heard of a "nano" Beagle and will be curious to find out what it is. One suggestion is that if your friend lives in a condo/apartment or has close neighbours....she might want to think about how to deal with a potentially noisy pup/dog. JMHO.

look like mixed breeds, Re: Beagles

Beagles can be any hound color per AKC standard.
http://clubs.akc.org/NBC/beagle_colors.html

I'd go with at least an AKC registered Beagle for a pet, from someone who does health clearances. See health issues elsewhere on the AKC site for the National Beagle Club, which is as old as the AKC itself.

The nano Beagle site I found states "our pet-only beagle lines are no longer registered with the AKC." That is a big red flag--did the AKC not allow registration of their pups because of bad practices? That being said, the 'nano" or "toy" size pups they have on the website I found look as though they have a bit of mini Dachshund in them and others remind me of the dwarf genes in Beagles. They talk about the shorter coat and shorter legs, and the difference in muzzle I notice ear length as well. Frankly, if they are going into dapple dachshund territory, they'd better know what they are doing or there will be deaf pups. Their "standard" size Beagles can be 40 lbs, which is more like a Harrier in weight. There are some hunting type Beagle looks in the bunch, but this looks like clever marketing for pound origin dogs or dogs with health and other issues. That being said, I do not know this for a fact, but from knowing of problems in Beagle and other breed pedigrees.

Re: Beagles

Sue Willumsen breeds beautiful beagles.