Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bug off Garlic for Dogs

Decided to start a new post -
@AnnaH - Thank you for your response

Has anyone else used this with success?
http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs/13

I had been looking for something new as frontline has not been working all month for us.

Thanks all

Re: Bug off Garlic for Dogs

We used to use Eucalyptus flower dropping(little round cup shaped pieces) and bead them into a collar for the dogs.
I found this alternative link on line. This is toxic to cats.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6075188_eucalyptus-oil-fleas.html

I have heard Garlic is toxic for dogs though I see it used all of the time and I use it in small amounts.

I use it....LOVE it!

Just don't use it on pregnant bitches or dogs who are going to have surgery.

Garlic isn't really toxic to dogs, but as with people, in large doses it acts as an anticoagulant/blood thinner, so dogs with VonWillenbrauns disease could hemmorhage. Not really relevant to Labs, but Shelties and other VWD breeds might be concerned. Honestly, I don't think the amounts given daily for fleas would even have an effect on an dog's clotting ability, but better safe than sorry I always say.

If your bitch is due to whelp or if a dog needs a planned surgery, it's best to take them off of it for a while.

If you have a dog on it who needs emergency surgery, simply inform your vet that he/she has been on a blood thinning agent and they can treat them accordingly.

Doesn't work. The amount of garlic in a regular dose is very small, not enough to do anything (do the math from info on their site). Increasing the dose can potentially change the blood picture as mentioned above. Garlic is also an antifungal/antibacterial agent, it's non specific on the target species and will also kill off good bacteria in the gut.

breeder
I use it....LOVE it!

Just don't use it on pregnant bitches or dogs who are going to have surgery.

Garlic isn't really toxic to dogs, but as with people, in large doses it acts as an anticoagulant/blood thinner, so dogs with VonWillenbrauns disease could hemmorhage. Not really relevant to Labs, but Shelties and other VWD breeds might be concerned. Honestly, I don't think the amounts given daily for fleas would even have an effect on an dog's clotting ability, but better safe than sorry I always say.

If your bitch is due to whelp or if a dog needs a planned surgery, it's best to take them off of it for a while.

If you have a dog on it who needs emergency surgery, simply inform your vet that he/she has been on a blood thinning agent and they can treat them accordingly.

I haven't used Garlic for my dogs yet but this is excellent information. I was unaware it can dilute the blood. This is important information especially for a girl in whelp or that is going to have surgery.Ty.