Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Progesterone Testing

My girl started spotting on Saturday, her numbers have been:

Day 3 negative .02
Day 5 .02
Day 10 .04

Is this normal and what should I expect from here?

Re: Progesterone Testing

Wondering
My girl started spotting on Saturday, her numbers have been:

Day 3 negative .02
Day 5 .02
Day 10 .04

Is this normal and what should I expect from here?

She may not ovulate until day 20 or later. She might ovulate at day 15. There's no way to know until it happens.

There's no way to tell what to expect even if she's had a litter prior. Continue testing, it might take 6 or 7 tests if she ovulates late. I went through similar with a litter recently. She ovulated on day 10 the 1st time she was bred and day 20 the 2nd time she was bred. I tested 6 times for the 2nd litter, 3 times the 1st litter.

Just curious why you tested so early? Unless you are doing this at home and don't have to pay for each test at the vets? I don't do my first until day 7. I don't expect my bitches to ovulated until closer to 14 days.

me
Just curious why you tested so early? Unless you are doing this at home and don't have to pay for each test at the vets? I don't do my first until day 7. I don't expect my bitches to ovulated until closer to 14 days.

I did so because her sister who lives elsewhere was: Day 4: 2.5, Day 6: 6.8 She was bred on day 8 with chilled and had 9 puppies. Based on her sister being so early, I'm playing it safe.

Wow, that's a big difference. Good luck with the breeding. the progesterone testing is the part I hate the most...I can whelp those pups, problems and all, that doesn't fluster me, but picking the right time to breed...

When I hear about girls with such high progesterone numbers early in the cycle, I have to wonder if the owner missed the first days of the season.