Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Skipping in the rear

I have a 11 month old female that occasionally "skips" while running, mostly in a
Downward transition from a full run to a trot. There is ABSOLUTLY no other sign of lameness. Being 11 months old and having multiple dogs, there is a lot of running, twisting, head over heels tumbles and all else that high energy labs do. Should I be concerned? Other than the 'skip', there is no sigh of lameness.

Re: Skipping in the rear

I had skipping in my jrt that was his patella slipping. It never "bothered" him... he would skip a step or two, it would get back to wherever it was supposed to be and he'd continue on his merry way.

Thanks for the reply! Are slipping patellatas genetic? I have not done any research yet as it is just becoming evident that the pup is not stepping on a thistle or what whatever. I want her to be a competive obedience or hunt dog, and maybe years down the line breed her (and yes, all health clearances and proven to mid to highest level in multiple levels).

TIA

Patellas are genetic and OFA does certify them, while not all lab breeders do this test.

I also find that younger dogs, even up to a year, can run funny. I have a male, now almost 5, that when he runs, his legs are all over the place like when he was a pup, but he's OFA Good/Normal.

Are you sure it's just not what I call the "spaz" run???

Yes, I would be concerned. Patellas are a definite possibility, could also be a strained or slightly torn cruciate, sometimes the signs are subtle. I would get it checked especially since you plan on doing performance activities. And I would try to manage the dogs to avoid those head over heels tumbles you mention, which are never a good thing.

How does she trot? Is she comfortable at the trot for more than a step or two, or does she skip or try to break gait? If she is trying to pace while trotting or constantly breaking into a gallop(a more comfortable gait for a dog with issues), then you may have a problem. A dog that can trot soundly for a long time is usually a sound dog.

A think to mention about patellas too, when they slip, it's like the knee locks. So they will limp until the knee unlocks again...

She trots normally, and in all other aspects appears fine. I have seperated she and the other pup she plays with (skipper is in heat for the first time). I will take her to the vet when I get my returned co-own neutered (owner died).

If she is in season and growing, her patellas may be a little looser than normal. Do NOT have the vet, other than maybe a chiropractor, manipulate them now while she is in season, as they could get stretched worse, if she is just skipping and not carrying the leg like a dog with a cruciate rupture. Skipping is a classic sign of patella luxation, often seen in little dogs of various breeds. According to the OFA, in some bitches, the hormones of their season loosen up their ligaments. According to Penn, only lactation does it. I know from experience that female hormones change things in people. I would consider giving her some Cosequin, which helps with joints and has vitamin C in it, to help tighten things up. I would also give her some cartilage from chicken and/or beef.

Yes, Labradors can have horrible patella luxation, even worse than I have seen in Cavaliers. It's amazing what one sees in rescue, and not just from non-show bloodlines. Check her again a few weeks out of her season, or midway between this season and the next one, in about 3 months, in case she has a false pregnancy and associated lactation. You don't need bad knees in Labradors. I had it in a rescue who also had bad hips, but medical, as opposed to surgical, treatment got him through. Another rescue had bad knees and good hips, but was painful enough that he needed knee surgery, which helped him get around better.