Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to encourage girl to Pick up Duck

Good morning. Thought I would throw this out there for suggestions. I don't really want to teach Force Fetch, and at this point am not ready anyway. So - besides force fetch, what ideas are out there to teach my girls to pick up a dead duck?
My older girl will pick it up on land with LOTS of encouragement. Water retrieves are fine!
My youngest goes up to it and noses it then runs back empty mouth to me. She won't even pick it up. She is 8 months. She did pick up a dead chucker, but the bigger duck was a 'no way'.

So I have one in the freezer - how can I work on getting them jazzed to pick it up?

Thanks all!

Re: How to encourage girl to Pick up Duck

If your girls like to retrieve everything but dead birds..try this: cut the end off a tube sock..place dead duck in sock...
make a fun retrieving game out of it...once she picks up the duck in the sock..start reducing the size of the sock...this will get them use to feeling feathers in their mouth. Also..make sure the ducks you are using are
in good condition...nice dry feathers. If you need more help email me.

Thanks for the tips. I have a 4 y/o male that's a retrieving demon. With balls, bumpers, dokkens, you name it...just don't show him a duck/pigeon. I am determined to get his WC next year and I would absolutely DIE if I could get his JH. We just don't have alot of group training opps, so I have to do this on my own. :)

If I have a youngster that's not sure, I take them out with someone who LOVES the game. Usually the competition will push them over the edge and after a few retrieves for the confident one, I'll have them leave it and *usually* the youngster will get it on their own.

Tossing into deeper cover often can help or if you have one that is really crazy about water, start there.

You basically need to play with the duck yourself, wave it around, talk about how great it is, do multiple short tosses (like 5-10 feet), race the dog to the duck and grab it back up before the dog gets it, then later sometimes letting the dog get it first.

Make sure the duck is thoroughly thawed and the feathers dry, a fresh one would be even better.

You would not force fetch a dog on a duck, or anything, until after the dog already wants to pick it up anyway. However, you could use a clicker and food reward as an alternative method to teach her hold and fetch. Once the behaviors are associated with a cue word, you can use the word to help her know that she is supposed to pick the duck up.

Also, take a look at Bill Hillmann's Puppy Retriever Training DVD and Fetch Command DVD. He teaches fetch first (as opposed to starting with force), stages one and two don't use force, and three only a little to reinforce the command. I think it might help if your dog knew a command for the fetch behavior, even if you never use the force part.

Is there any chance that her mouth is bothering her, with the molars seating, and anything that big bothers her, as it fills the mouth back there?

If so, don't worry, but try the socks, etc. Your instinct is correct: don't force fetch her at this tender age with a tender mouth!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Trying the sock this weekend and will see how it goes. Hadn't thought about the molars - she is chewing everything in sight so that may be part of it too.
My older girl has a fetch and hold command. Will start on that with the little one.

Will she pick up a bumper that has wings or a Duck pelt tied to it? It would get her used to feathers in her mouth and not be so large. You can the increase the size of the bumper. How does she do with a Dokken? It is the size of a duck, and if you put a pelt around it it would be relatively realistic.

BBILABRADORS
Will she pick up a bumper that has wings or a Duck pelt tied to it? It would get her used to feathers in her mouth and not be so large. You can the increase the size of the bumper. How does she do with a Dokken? It is the size of a duck, and if you put a pelt around it it would be relatively realistic.

Is there a source of duck pelts, or is it a do it yourself project?

I have only ever seen pheasant pelts for sale.

Just thought I would update you all. I never had to use the sock. I started with the two girls in the small pen, took the older one out and did some duck retrieves. She was picking up more reliably already. Meanwhile the pup was VERY excited and wanted her turn. Switched up the dogs and teased the young one with the duck, ran around (I am pretty sure the neighbors called the men in white coats ) swinging the duck saying 'get the duck, get the duck'. Tossed it on the ground, no pick up so I grabbed it and ran calling 'I got the duck' while she was chasing me in hot pursuit. (Now I am sure the neighbors made that call ).
Next time I dropped it, she picked it up. Lots of whooping by me and we got a couple of nice retrieves, mostly now I need to get her to bring it to me. She is so proud she is trotting off LOL.
So today I took them to a field with friends. Shotgun, duck call and two ducks. Both girls did two lovely land retrieves. Had to encourage a bit to come back to me, but really lovely work. I am so pleased
Thanks for all the suggestions, they are filed away for future use. I do have bumpers coming today with streamers and wing bands so I can work with those too. So much fun to see a Labrador work

Great job!! I have a girl that is 2 and will retrieve anything!! Loves the water but would not pick a bird up for nothing. Tried 3 separate times, no go. Then today was working with my 2 younger boys and thought I would try again. Tossed the bird a couple times and she went and sniffed it and wouldn't pick it up. Then I threw it and had my husband's border collie go after it and she decided that she was going to get the duck first!! 4 short retrieves picking the duck up and bringing it back!! I was so happy with her!! Told her what a good girl she was and we stopped on that good note. I almost gave up on her picking the birds up and was going to not try anymore but she finally got it! I am hoping with a little more work maybe she can be consistent enough to get a WC this spring :)