Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Level bite?

What's the current line of thought about level mouths like right about now? "Acceptable" according to the standard, sure, but every person and every era has its own faults that are demonized and those it tends to overlook.
This is my first experience with one, so it's the first time I've ever had to think about it. Would you keep/show/breed from an otherwise lovely bitch with a level bite? What about judges? How heavily would this weigh with you? How often do the rest of y'all see this? How hard to fix?
Thoughts?

Re: Level bite?

Would rather have a level bite and full dentition than a scissors bite and a mouth full of missing teeth like so many have now.

The standard tells us that a level bit is acceptable & that scissors is preferred. Absolutely keep her.

My boy has a a level bite and finished with 5 Majors under breeder judges so if you love everything about her and the only thing you don't like is her level bite then keep her.... very easily fixed in the next generation.

Breeder
Would rather have a level bite and full dentition than a scissors bite and a mouth full of missing teeth like so many have now.
That's not exactly what she asked you. My dogs have full dentition except 1 has 1 missing pre-molar. Big deal.

Worry about your own dogs, not others. If your dogs are so great, they'll win over these supposed dogs with * a mouth full of missing teeth * as you call it.

Only the breeder judges that put their hands in these dogs' mouths know how many teeth they're missing. If you're a breeder judge talking like this, Shame on You!

OP, if you're happy with your dog in all other ways, don't allow a level bite make you place him.

Who said I was worrying about other people's dogs? Boy, why so defensive! Just giving my opinion that when it comes to teeth issues there are worse issues being shown than a level bite, I could care less how many teeth anyone elses dogs have or have not!! If you read the standard it says a level bite is acceptable, though not desirable but missing teeth are a serious fault, geesh!

Emily:
You don't mention how old your dog is... I wanted to add that my CH had a level bite as a puppy... I think it corrected when he was 4-5 months old.... I would have shown him anyway, but it was one less thing to think about when it corrected. Good luck!

Would you keep/show/breed from an otherwise lovely bitch with a level bite?

Oops forgot to add this... You can breed full dentition to full dentition and still get missing teeth... Scissor to scissor and get a level or overbite... I would not let the level bite sway me from breeding her should all else clear.

Level bite? Missing teeth? Neither one particularly bothers me. But, sitting at ringside, I have seen dogs moving in the ring with jaws slightly ajar that clearly had missing teeth. Not just the judges know about missing teeth.

My 2 cents
Would you keep/show/breed from an otherwise lovely bitch with a level bite?

Oops forgot to add this... You can breed full dentition to full dentition and still get missing teeth... Scissor to scissor and get a level or overbite... I would not let the level bite sway me from breeding her should all else clear.

Sure. It's one piece of the puzzle, not the whole puzzle. We are always going to be struggling with things to fix. A level bite is "acceptable"..... in my book that means it's OK to keep/show/breed.

I have a bitch with level bite. I bred her to a stud with correct bite. The bitch I kept also has level bite and is a Grand Champion. Her brother has perfect bite but when bred to two different bitches there are puppies with normal, level and several with under bite. So I personally do not think it is that easy to fix. Does not mean I will wash this line, but I am a little worried.

This is like asking if you'd keep a dog with OFA Fair hips... for some they're good enough for others not good enough. Do what you are comfortable with.