Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vaccination reaction, entire litter! Please help.

Have any of you ever had 8 week old puppies have a reaction to Nobivac Canine 1-DAPPv now by Merck?

My entire litter was vaccinated with it by my vet at 8 weeks. All 10 puppies had a reaction to it, some stronger than others. They became listless, had bad diarrhea, loss of appetite and slight vomiting for 24 to 36 hours. I brought the 3 worst back into my vet, he said it was normal. Bull! He had me give a tiny amount of benadryl.

I let all my pet buyers know and pups didn't go home until the showed no symptoms. When my keepers went back to the vet for microchips 3.5 weeks later, he vaccinated for me again. He used the same vaccine Nobivac Canine 1-DAPPv and same thing happened with the 2 of them! He swore to me it was a fluke the 1st time with all 10 and that he never saw this happen before.

I will never use it again and normally use Pfizer Vanguard with never a problem. I'm curious if anyone has also had a problem with this vaccination.

Can I do the last vaccination with PV or do I have to start all over again with 3 PV every 3 to 4 weeks? I will not give this Merck crap again. Vet told me Merck bought up the original company.

TIA for anyone that has had a problem with Nobivac Canine 1-DAPPv especially in puppies but also in adults.

Re: Vaccination reaction, entire litter! Please help.

Contact Jean Dodds at Hemopet for recommendations about vaccination problems.

I would also report the vaccine reaction to the manufacturer, they won't know they have a problem if you don't. I have heard of other breeders having issues with the Nobivac, A lot of people I know use use the Vangaurd.

hemopet
Contact Jean Dodds at Hemopet for recommendations about vaccination problems.

Vaccine
I would also report the vaccine reaction to the manufacturer, they won't know they have a problem if you don't. I have heard of other breeders having issues with the Nobivac, A lot of people I know use use the Vangaurd.

Vaccine, I figured that was the case but thanks for telling me about other breeders that used Novibac. The vet swore he never had a problem but all of my 10 had reactions. I sincerely doubt that he was truthful that no pup ever reacted. Maybe he gets a better deal on Nobivac b/c he doesn't even carry Pfizer Vanguard. Every vet I've ever gone to has Pfizer vaccines in stock.

On your advice I will be contacting Merck tomorrow. I got their information ready today from a friend that works in their Human Resource Dept. She told me the same thing this afternoon, let Merck know. She also told me to try to find out if other breeders of any breed of dog had a similar problem for my own knowlege.

Thank you hemopet. I had been on Dr. Jean Dodds site for instructions on sending a full panel thyroid testing a couple of years ago. I didn't realise she was involved in actual problematic vaccinations. I knew she did begin the 3 year protocal instead of yearly that I followed when it came to light.

I will contact her regarding this vaccine so she's aware a litter of 10 pups all reacted to it and then 2 of them reacted to the 2nd vaccine.

I also wanted to let other breeders know. Maybe it's just my litter of pups as the vet implied but I doubt it.

Thanks for your responses so far. Additional ones are welcome especially if your dogs or pups had reactions. I've become curious how often pups react to Novibac and will only be reporting my incidents, noone elses. TIA.

Could you please post the lot number from the vaccines that gave your puppies the reaction? I think if you share that then others can avoid that specific lot number too. I would be interested in knowing if BOTH of the vaccines given by your vet were from the same lot number.

I have used this vaccine on my puppies starting at 12 weeks with no problem. 2 boosters thereafter. Their first shot was Pfizer Vangard no problems. I have a new litter that I was planning on vaccinating at 8 weeks.

Concerned
Could you please post the lot number from the vaccines that gave your puppies the reaction? I think if you share that then others can avoid that specific lot number too. I would be interested in knowing if BOTH of the vaccines given by your vet were from the same lot number.

I need to get that information from the vet. I asked him to put the label on the packets but they never did. I will get it as I'm also contacting Merck after speaking to 4 breeders with the same problem with that vaccine. I'm going back to doing my own vaccinations after this. I did them for a few years but always got nervous a vet would give me a hard time after if a pup had a reaction. I also used only Pfizer Vanguard and never had a reaction. I read their guaranty and I feel more comfortable with it. https://animalhealth.pfizer.com/sites/pahweb/US/EN/PublishingImages/SAB0311008%202011%20Updated%20Detailer%2034-18-11.pdf

Maureen Tauber
I have used this vaccine on my puppies starting at 12 weeks with no problem. 2 boosters thereafter. Their first shot was Pfizer Vangard no problems. I have a new litter that I was planning on vaccinating at 8 weeks.

Maybe the difference is age. 4 weeks is a big difference but I repeated at 11 to 12 weeks with the same vet and my 2 had the same reaction again. I don't understand it, 10 pups having a reaction then 2 repeating the reaction with a vet who wasn't concerned. My pups were ill!

Did you mix different vaccination companies? I'm wondering if you used Pfizer at 8 weeks then Novibac at 12 weeks. Is that normally advised and did you plan on using Novibac not before 12 weeks? If so, was there a reason? I'm worried about the 3rd vaccine if I switch back to Pfizer. I won't ask the vet I used b/c he doesn't use Pfizer at all. I have an appointment to interview a different vet because of how blase the other vet was about the reactions. The pups all were between 102.1 and 102.9. That's not normal for a pup, neither is listless, diahrrea and vomiting. I don't know what to tell you to do bit I was scared I could lose a pup or more.

I use Nobivac DPv on my puppies at 7 1/2 weeks and have never had a reaction problem like you have described. I use this for the first 2 puppy boosters. The last 2 boosters and for adults I use Vanguard Plus 5/L4. I'm sure it's just luck but in 20 years I have not had a vaccine reaction! Oh, I also use Neopar at 5 weeks.