Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Price of Progesterone tests

I just took one of my girls for a progesterone test today at my vet's office. Every time that I go, the price has gone up. I don't breed a lot of litters, so I only have these tests done for 2 or 3 girls per year, but it just keeps going up. Today the vet charged me $128 for a progesterone test. I wanted to see if there is any way to get this done cheaper? I have heard that any lab will run the test for you, but how exactly do you go about doing that? Don't you need to spin down the blood after you draw it - before they test it? How much does a lab generally charge? Do you just take it in and tell them it is canine blood and you want to test for progesterone level? Do they look at you like you are crazy? Can you usually get the results the same day? That is one nice thing with my vet, I usually have the results the same day.

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Re: Price of Progesterone tests

I've always used Camelot Farms. I used to work as a vet tech, so I know how to draw blood, but it's pretty easy to learn to do it yourself or for a minimal fee, your vet or a tech can do it for you. I don't have a centrifuge, so I let it separate on its own. If you leave it in a warm place it separates faster. I then draw off a drop of the serum and run my test. It costs about $125 and you get at least 10 tests from each kit. I've found it extremely accurate and have used it with both natural, side by side and of course fresh chilled.

I don't breed that often either so I usually just get one bitch tested throughout her season and then the kit expires. But still the whole kit is same price as what you're paying now. Granted some breeders can get by with just progesterone test, but many that I know run 2-3 per season.

Re: Price of Progesterone tests

I paid what you are paying 4 years ago and had to get results the next day. Same day would be great. Good luck.
Maybe do Camelot Farms AND do a numbered test to double check the results you get at home?