Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lab books

I have a large collection of Labrador Books, many VERY rare, at one time considered the worlds largest collection (at least that is what I was told when I purchased many of these in the early 70's from an old gentleman in Canada). Where would be the best place to market some of these books. Sitting on my desk right now is "our Dogs, Christmas 1947 (magazine) It lists the Labrador Ret. club of Scotland notes, and these breeders have ads.
Towyriver, Cruden, Liddly Sandylands, Barloy, Sanquin, Durley, Midlands, Spurston, Beltring, Ravendale, Courtcolman, Murrayville, Sagaland, Glencoin, Monreith, Treesholme and many more. Many books from England during the late 1800's. Is their a rare dog book dealer?

Re: Lab books

There is always Show Dog Yard Sale on FB

You need to find a well known, well versed book dealer opposed to silly Facebook. You have very valuable books from what you've said, not the run of the mill books. You might want to contact a regular book dealer to see if there are rare dog book dealers. From a book dealer, try to find out about online auctions with a minimum amount allowed for each book, it's called the reserve with antique cars. That would be the lowest amount you would accept for each book. This way you can't get hurt by a low bidder.

Another way would be building a website for strictly your books. Buy a domain that contains words like rare labrador books dot XXX. Make sure the website builder puts the right information about your site with keywords. This way when people search for what you have, your site comes up in the 1st few.

You could also try to auction them yourself on Ebay but be careful of the method of payment.

Good luck.

Try this in Ohio. http://www.bdbooksandart.com

If I were you I'd contact Richard Edwards, Lasgarn, UK, and ask for his advice as to the value of the books. He's an avid collector as well and surely knows what your books might sell for.
If your books are in mint condition with dust covers intact, they should be of substancial value. Good Luck!
Richard is on Facebook, by the way. Go to his page and send him a message.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I have heard of problems with PayPal, and ebay of late, also Craigslist.
I am going to try and get my list in a format where others can see what books I do have. For example, I have 4 copies of The Labrador Retriever: its History, Points and Training by Leslie Sprake, 1933 and several Lord George & Sir John Middleton from 1936. The vellum fold out pedigrees of the earlier labradors is breathtaking, but I only need 1, and I feel like others would love and adore them as much as I have. Most are 1st Editions, and it is kind of fun for me to to revisit them. I will check out the rare book dealers recommended as well. Thanks

Thanks Anki, great idea.

Debra M
Wow, thanks for all the info. I have heard of problems with PayPal, and ebay of late, also Craigslist.
I am going to try and get my list in a format where others can see what books I do have. For example, I have 4 copies of The Labrador Retriever: its History, Points and Training by Leslie Sprake, 1933 and several Lord George & Sir John Middleton from 1936. The vellum fold out pedigrees of the earlier labradors is breathtaking, but I only need 1, and I feel like others would love and adore them as much as I have. Most are 1st Editions, and it is kind of fun for me to to revisit them. I will check out the rare book dealers recommended as well. Thanks

Here's an example of 1 of your books on Amazon for $700. You could safely sell through them. http://www.amazon.com/The-Labrador-Retriever-Pedigrees-Management/dp/B0010V9BTY/ref=cm_pdp_imgs_itm_img_2

I found several editions of MRW's original Breeding book through a site called abebooks.com, I believe.

All wonderful suggestions.

Once you get the estimated values on your books, you'll have to let me know. I collect old books (love them! I have some great old veterinary books from the 1800's) and since I love labradors too, it would be a fun way to combine the two!

I also would be very interested.