Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
92 dogs abandoned along side country roads in Texas

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/04/14222277-92-dogs-abandoned-along-country-roads-in-texas-police-say?lite

Hopefully, they all find great homes!

Re: 92 dogs abandoned along side country roads in Texas

To $$$$$$$$$:
Since this is what people do in the state of Texas, here's yet another reason why you should not sell to anyone there.

92 dogs abandoned along side country roads in Texas

@Awful!!!

Go back to your cave with your other Troll friends!

Lab Breeders & Lab Families here in the State of Texas are some of the nicest people!!!

You must not have seen the posts where $$$$$$ told people not to sell to places where dogs are abused. My point was, and is, horrible things happen everywhere and anywhere. We should not use a broad brush to paint all people with the same coat of paint. As for your troll remark,

This county is seeing these dogs being dumped because of new Animal Rights Laws that limit the number of dogs breeders can keep or face thousands of dollars in fines. From what I understand breeders are afraid they will get caught with too many dogs now and are afraid to try to place them themselves for fear of being found out. The local shelters say they won't take these dogs from breeders who are now over the limit. So what else can they do? I would hate to be forced to have to take such drastic measures, but if you are suddenly forced to reduce your numbers or face fines that could make you lose your home and take food away from your family. Let's just say it is not something I would want to face. This is why we must be mindful of limit laws that are being proposed in our counties/states. The dogs in the photo appeared to be well taken care of. I know there are some on here who feel that breeders who make money are evil, get off your high horse. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that they don't love their dogs, love what they do, take good care of them, regret when they are caught up in these types of laws and feel they have no other choice. I am just glad the dogs are ok.

A Different Perspective
The dogs in the photo appeared to be well taken care of. I know there are some on here who feel that breeders who make money are evil, get off your high horse. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that they don't love their dogs, love what they do, take good care of them, regret when they are caught up in these types of laws and feel they have no other choice.

you obviously did not watch the clip. They claimed that all the dogs were adults, all were filthy ,and lived in horrible conditions. There is no " high horse", just reality.

A Different Perspective
This county is seeing these dogs being dumped because of new Animal Rights Laws that limit the number of dogs breeders can keep or face thousands of dollars in fines. From what I understand breeders are afraid they will get caught with too many dogs now and are afraid to try to place them themselves for fear of being found out. The local shelters say they won't take these dogs from breeders who are now over the limit. So what else can they do? I would hate to be forced to have to take such drastic measures, but if you are suddenly forced to reduce your numbers or face fines that could make you lose your home and take food away from your family. Let's just say it is not something I would want to face. This is why we must be mindful of limit laws that are being proposed in our counties/states. The dogs in the photo appeared to be well taken care of. I know there are some on here who feel that breeders who make money are evil, get off your high horse. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that they don't love their dogs, love what they do, take good care of them, regret when they are caught up in these types of laws and feel they have no other choice. I am just glad the dogs are ok.

I agree that this news reflect what the future of pure breed dogs will be if laws keep on limiting the commercial (in some states/counties this is everybody that posses more than 4 dogs)breeding of dogs. Many will be dumped in the streets and many will perish.
I don't know the circumstances of the breeders of these dogs, but I cannot imagine myself dumping my dogs out in the road. There is always families and neighbors that can take the dogs. You can always move to a location that allows dogs. There is always a better solution than just dump the dogs out there in the middle of night where they can get hit by a car or eaten by coyotes.
The shelter now have to deal with all the dogs that are going to be dumped now on in TX. Maybe they'll think twice before passing laws like that.

A Different Perspective
Those dogs are not well taken care of. If you look at only their ears, they are full of matted coat down the the skin. Would you be happy with the hair on your head matted to the skin like that? I sincerely doubt it and I wouldn't want that for myself or dogs.

How much attention can someone with well over 92 dogs give to them? Obviously there are many more b/c they dumped 92. Dogs of any breed require attention and love. With too many, how is that possible? When we home our puppies do we sell them to a person with 92 dogs too many or do we prefer a home that will have 1 or 2 dogs?

A Different Perspective; you say that>>we must be mindful of limit laws<<. These people didn't care what limits there were, they continued breding and acuiring dogs,so they could sell the puppies to earn a living! With an excess of 92 they dumped to fend for themselves, what else does that mean?

You're giving the breeder entirely too much credit. They had too many dogs so dumped them roadside and it's okay? It's not okay! The dogs could have all died and are now in rescue. It makes all of us look bad! I hope & pray the dogs all get homes, good homes. Will all of them find a good home remembering there's 92 in 2 counties who knows. Press coverage with photos should assist.

Before you defend them, give it a lot of thought because you're defending a puppy mill. Makes me wonder how many dogs you have on your premises and how carefully you place your puppies or other dogs.

Awful!
A Different Perspective
The dogs in the photo appeared to be well taken care of. I know there are some on here who feel that breeders who make money are evil, get off your high horse. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that they don't love their dogs, love what they do, take good care of them, regret when they are caught up in these types of laws and feel they have no other choice.

you obviously did not watch the clip. They claimed that all the dogs were adults, all were filthy ,and lived in horrible conditions. There is no " high horse", just reality.
I agree with you Awful and just posted. This is horrible, I don't know how a breeder can understand dumping 92 dogs on the roadside. DISGUSTING!

Those dogs will probably end up killed at the shelter.
TX is a huge kill shelter state.

CAVAIERS DUMPED STATUS - an email from Rescue

I apologize that Kathi Sturgeon has not been able to be able to give you more updates during the day but things have been rather warp speed.

Here's what the situation is at this time:

Cavalier Rescue was notified Wednesday afternoon from a North TX shelter of an incident in two small North TX towns. The first night, someone drove into town in the late hours and released 51 Maltese dogs in sad and horrible condition. The following night, someone drove into the town of Sanger and let lose 39 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and one Cocker Spaniel. Local authorities from these communities rounded up the animals and took them to local shelters. With these large numbers, some of the smaller city shelters were overloaded and transferred dogs to the Fort Worth Humane Society.

The 39 Cavaliers are at the Fort Worth Humane Society. They are all filthy, matted and have been told that some have dry-eye syndrome and eye injuries. Cavalier Rescue immediately offered our help and services. Because of the national publicity on these incidents, the Ft. Worth Humane Society has received over 500 applications to adopt the Cavaliers. Adoptions will proceed on Sunday starting at 12 Noon.

Cavalier Rescue and NTX CKCSC members will have volunteers at the shelter starting early tomorrow morning to help bathe all the dogs (Cavaliers and any other dog needing a bath and grooming) and a groomer has offered to donate her services to give all these dogs badly needed nail trims. We also anticipate that our North TX volunteers may be able to be available at the shelter on Adoption Day to answer any questions about health issues, training, etc. It is also possible that Cavalier Rescue or other Cavalier rescue groups may take possession of a few of the Cavaliers with more serious health issues. We have been assured by the shelter that all dogs will be spayed/neutered before leaving the shelter.

There is a reward of $500 for any information pertaining to the person(s) who released these dogs.

While Cavalier Rescue would like to have taken possession of all of the Cavaliers, the shelter has legal possession of the dogs and we will provide whatever help they need to help these dogs. We do what we can...........for as many as we can.............to the best of our abilities.

Kathi Sturgeon, our TX Rescue Coordinator, and I have been buried in emails, phone calls and offers to help/adopt from all over the US which is heartwarming but has taken up a great deal of our time in between communicating with the shelter and coordinating volunteers. Please understand that we are responding to all emails as time permits but the Cavaliers and their outcome are our first priority.

MAIN LOCATION
1840 E. Lancaster Ave.
Fort Worth, TX 76103
817-332-4768

A Different Perspective
From what I understand breeders are afraid they will get caught with too many dogs now and are afraid to try to place them themselves for fear of being found out.

What do you mean by "fear of being found out"? Found out by who? I don't understand why the breeder didn't place or sell the dogs, that's what the breeder needs to do to comply with the law. The problem is, the breeder has more to hide than just the number of dogs they have. The dogs are better off.

Instead of trying to make the breeder look like a victim you should be hoping they catch and punish the person who mistreated these dogs. Who stands up for the dogs? If someone has 92 dogs they are a commercial operation and in need of regulation for the welfare of the dogs.

The New Law going into affect not only will limit the no. of breeding females but said must get a License after passing an inspection. In this case the Puppy Mill knew they could never get a license and dumped these sweet babies that were matted and filthy.

The News says they will all most likely be adopted as they are all small popular breeds and the dogs will be better off. I suspect we will be seeing more of this in Texas.