Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Food and Growth?

I am curious as to why specific foods are chosen for puppies who have Pano and other growth issues related to growing too quickly. What do you look for in the food as far as calories, protein, fat? Why? I do know all lab pups need close to 1:1 ratio of phosphorous to calcium. Are there other considerations, besides quality of food?

At what age do you transition to your "regular" food for these puppies?

Re: Puppy Food and Growth?

New to Show
I am curious as to why specific foods are chosen for puppies who have Pano and other growth issues related to growing too quickly. What do you look for in the food as far as calories, protein, fat? Why? I do know all lab pups need close to 1:1 ratio of phosphorous to calcium. Are there other considerations, besides quality of food?

I have pups off puppy food on to adult by 6 months. I start the change over around the time half the baby teeth have fallen out. Change over should be done slow for the pup's belly.

I've also put my keeper on adult food when the other pups went to their new homes. My keeper that I specifically recall doing this with is an OFA Excellent but I doubt it was just from the food. He has 9 & 10 generations of clear orthopeds on both dam and sires sides.

As for pano, I have no suggestion except don't keep the pup on puppy food for a year no matter what the vet tells you. I've had words with companion puppy vets' about the food. The most recent Vet wanted the pup on PD Science Diet pup-something he carried for no health problems. I told him he just wanted to make money on his garbage food. The family listened to me and when their girl was spayed at 14 months which I had asked the to wait for, hip and elbow xrays done in conjuction and great. They were sent to OFA for prelim status and received an Exc and normal. There was no final. It couldn't have hurt having him on lower protein and fat.

I saw pano once way back in the day but there were no symptoms with it. It was completely gone in less then 2 months.

New to Show

If I had a pup with pano I would feed a moderate food. Puppy food traditionally has more fat and calories (energy) and it's believed that changing to a food with lower energy might help slow growth. Some adult foods are energy dense and wouldn't be appropriate though.

[/quote]

If I had a pup with pano I would feed a moderate food. Puppy food traditionally has more fat and calories (energy) and it's believed that changing to a food with lower energy might help slow growth. Some adult foods are energy dense and wouldn't be appropriate though. [/quote]

So how many calories per cup would be "lower"? What fat percentage?
Many adult foods I've seen have very similar fat and protein percentages as puppy foods.

The research on joint health (not specifically pano) is that keeping a puppy lean during growth will prevent more joint problems than allowing them to be fat. No specific food or additive is required. My anecdotal experience is that I haven't had a case of pano since I starteed keeping my puppies lean. And they have tons of bone as adults.

How to keep them lean? No special food - FEED THEM LESS. lol