Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy bites

I have two puppies here from the same litter. Bites were fine at 8 weeks and fine three weeks ago. They are now 4 months old and I open their mouths to check bites and BOTH are off... I don't normally check at this age. Is this normal or ?? Completely heartbroken because one of them is probably the BEST puppy I have ever produced.... Thanks for any and all replies.

Re: Puppy bites

Shudder - I never look in their mouths at that age! Until all the teeth come in the bites can be all over the place.

What do you mean "off" - underbite, overbite, wry??? How bad? Personally at 4 months puppies' mouths can look awful, but the lower jaw usually grows last, so if a puppy has developed a significant underbite, chances are lower that it will return to a normal scissors bite than if you have an overbite of some type.

Nancy Boyle
Shudder - I never look in their mouths at that age! Until all the teeth come in the bites can be all over the place.

I agree Nancy. They should be looking at adult teeth after they're in fully. Not baby teeth at 4 months when they're ready to fall out. I look at baby teeth at 7 to 8 weeks and that's it until a mouthful of adult teeth.

So at what age is the bite final? 6 months? 1yr? 2 yrs? How long would you wait to see if the bite changes?

Don't look ! Just know at 16 wks the teeth start to fall out and the mouth could look a hundred different ways. Might now eat a day or two, just wet it down good and know it hurts. Also, they say don't put a collar and train much at this age. It hurts and they don't know where the pain comes from. It may take, say to 7 months to really be able to see the true bite ?

?
So at what age is the bite final? 6 months? 1yr? 2 yrs? How long would you wait to see if the bite changes?

The jaws stop growing around 10 months, so usually by then. The bottom jaw is the last to grow.

One puppy bite is an underbite. And the other is level, almost an underbite. I am sick... Both pups had good bites, and now this... :( Has anyone had an underbite fix from this age to adulthood???

Yes, I had a puppy go undershot at 5 months. At 6 months it was back to scissor.
You should probably stop looking or your puppies will end up hating to have their mouth shown.