Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ultrasounds

I had an ultrasound done on my bitch today at 31 days post breeding and only saw one pup. We turned her over but didn't see anymore. I know ultrasounds aren't a good "counting tool" but how possilbe is it that some were hiding?

TIA

Re: Ultrasounds

I have had an Ultrasound done at 4 1/2 weeks and we saw nothing except her internal organs. Then at 5 1/2 weeks we found 8 pups.

I also had one done on a different bitch at 5 1/2 weeks and they saw 2 maybe 3 pups. She had 12!!

It all depends on how good your ultrasound tech or vet is. As a general rule, never trust ultrasounds.

Breeder
It all depends on how good your ultrasound tech or vet is. As a general rule, never trust ultrasounds.

True, only as good as the vet is...... fortunate to have a good one. He has been very close most all the time. I usually do them around 30 days.
An x-ray may be better for you.

Thanks guys, first litter in five years so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ultrasound is the least accurate way to count pups.

X-rays are better but can be off.

The best method is to count is how many actually come out.

Nancy Boyle

FYI, ultrasound isn't used for getting an exact count, it's a tool to determine if pregnancy was achieved and it's very accurate for this when done at the correct time with a competent sonographer. The ultrasound can also give you an estimate to the size of litter, ie. if it's going to be a small or large litter, this is helpful to manage feeding. If only one or two pups were seen you wouldn't increase food like you would if 9 or 10 pups were counted. My vet has always been right on the money with ultrasounds counts for us but an accurate count is not why it is done.

I think the OP wants to know what the chances are that she has a normal sized litter. I would say unless the person doing the ultrasound is very inexperienced, you shouldn't expect a normal sized litter and I would do a pre-whelp x-ray if only 1-2 pups were found with ultrasound. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is!

Ultrasound saw 2 pups, x-ray later saw 4 pups, bitch delivered 10!

Been there, done that

If the skill is that bad where you go I would change vets!

Lol
Been there, done that

If the skill is that bad where you go I would change vets!

I would too and did.

I had the same happen with a radiograph done too early. Vet said 4, my bitch had 10! She was huge.

The same vet to this day, 15 years later has breeders come in on Day 51 to 53. He didn't learn.

U.S.
Nancy Boyle

FYI, ultrasound isn't used for getting an exact count, it's a tool to determine if pregnancy was achieved and it's very accurate for this when done at the correct time with a competent sonographer. The ultrasound can also give you an estimate to the size of litter, ie. if it's going to be a small or large litter, this is helpful to manage feeding. If only one or two pups were seen you wouldn't increase food like you would if 9 or 10 pups were counted. My vet has always been right on the money with ultrasounds counts for us but an accurate count is not why it is done.

I think the OP wants to know what the chances are that she has a normal sized litter. I would say unless the person doing the ultrasound is very inexperienced, you shouldn't expect a normal sized litter and I would do a pre-whelp x-ray if only 1-2 pups were found with ultrasound. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is!

I don't ultrasound my girls, I can tell if they're pregnant usually a week later. If I need to do 1 eventually what is the best day to ultrasound in your opinion? What do you count from exactly? Is it from breeding, ovulation or due date?

I also have a small litter in the oven....ultrasound says 2. What is the best day to xray in your opinion and do you count day 0 as day of first breeding?

Thanks.