Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frozen semen - Surgical implant pro's & cons?

Does doing a surgical for frozen semen in any jeopardize the bitches ability to conceive in the future?
Is damage done to the uterus, scar tissue etc.?
TIA!

Re: Frozen semen - Surgical implant pro's & cons?

to answer your question - no.

But, the advancements in TCi, it should be just as good as a surgical. Ask your vet.

Thank you I will speak to my repro.
There is only one breeding left on the dog so we need to make sure we do this right. I am happy to hear that the bitch won't suffer any permanent consequences.

been there done that
to answer your question - no.

But, the advancements in TCi, it should be just as good as a surgical. Ask your vet.

Over the years we had done close to thirty surgical inplants, never a negative result. On frozen semen, for sure, that would be the only way to go.

It is totally safe. Plus, the vet who does the surgical gets a chance to see the condition of the uterus. I have gone to Hutch with 4 different bitches and had excellent results.

Gregg
Over the years we had done close to thirty surgical inplants, never a negative result. On frozen semen, for sure, that would be the only way to go.
I prefer TCI's. I've had 2 litters by TCI, 8 & 10 pups ea. Gregg, I respect your opinion but have you ever tried a TCI?

No fan, honestly we have not tried a TCI, when you have something that works why try something new. We are retired now so no more history with us will be made.
The success of a TCI rests quite a bit in the skill if the person doing it. In addition the swimmers still have a trip to make while with a surgical they get plopped right on top of the ripened eggs. On a surgical, the procedure is rather simple as back in the late 90's my wife and I used to assist our repro vet. Just due to the simplicity of the procedure, I would be hard pressed to try anything else.
ng else.

The first frozen breeding I did was a TCI done by George Govette, but not on a maiden bitch, her last breeding was a TCI as well. My other repro vet prefers not to do TCI's on maiden bitches because of time contraints, it is faster and more direct for her to do a surgical than fish around for an hour or two to find the cervix opening in a maiden, one that has already had a litter is no issue for her.However she still prefers surgicals so she can check the uterus while she's in there.