Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Persistent Interdigital Cysts

4 year old black male has had persistent interdigital cysts for the past year (at least one per month, sometimes multiple sites.)

We have:

-treated with antiseptic wash, rX and topical anti-fungal with a wrap

-ruled out food allergies

-observed same results in wet or dry weather, swimming or not

Otherwise healthy, clean ears, healthy coat, etc.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Re: Persistent Interdigital Cysts

See this link for chronic, recurrent interdigital furunculosis causes:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/70800.htm

You might want to try a footbath with Garlic if nothing is working. Garlic is a known anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. I've had great success using it for yeast between paw pads.

"In 2000, one team of researchers published a study in The Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology that compared a week of twice-daily applications of mild garlic solutions with topical applications of the popular drug Lamisil in about 50 people with diagnoses of athlete’s foot. Two months later, the scientists found that a garlic solution that contained about 1 percent ajoene had a 100 percent cure rate, compared with a 94 percent cure rate for 1 percent Lamisil. Other studies have found similar results." http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/remedies-garlic-for-athletes-foot/

You can do a google search to find out how to use garlic, this is what I did:
6 cloves of fresh garlic, cut up and then smash with the side of the knife to release the ajoene (the active ingredient in garlic), let the crushed garlic sit for 15 minutes. Boil one quart of water and add the crushed garlic for 3 minutes. Remove, let the solution cool down and use as a soak. I used a couple of small cool whip type containers and had the dog stand in them for the soak. I stored the extra liquid in the refrigerator for another treatment. I treated once a day for about a week. I did this 2 years ago and haven't had any yeast in between the paw pads until recently. I'm going to do it again soon.

I just recently heard to try Preparation H... Can't hurt!

I actually have had good luck using collodial silver. And misted the feet daily with it.Or poured a small portion into a small cup and syringed up 2 -3 cc of it.and squeezed it onto the affected area. 2-3 times a day . Then I also have given at same time 2cc in the mouth x 2 a day for a week. And you will be surprized at how it shrinks up. Also is handy for in the ears and can be given if bitch is in whelp in the ears to help clean them. wipe out the dirty stuff first.
Dont pour left over CS back into the big jar. contaminates.I buy mine from wolf creek holistic supplies in california .This is an antiviral,antifungal, antibacterial item.
works for many needs.

I'm convinced they are immune-related and actually washed out a champion male (AKC champ) because he had them. Took a long-term course of Baytril and topical treatments - both prescribed by my holistic vet who said we needed the big guns for that type of issue. After about 6 months of fighting various cysts as they would appear, we finally got them taken care of.

Ask your Vet about Immunoregulin Injections,we've seen improvement in a chronic case at our Hospital with them.

I have been dealing with this issue as well with a 6 year old male.
started about 2 years ago, it goes back and forth between the two front feet.
no other sign of allergies or irritations.

nothing in his life has changed to bring this on,
I did switch to a non grain food for him, no improvement.
They seem very painful to him and show up as a blister between the paw.
The vet has gone in and drained twice, they come back....

He has been on 8 weeks of antibiotics and foot sprays, worked for about 3 months and it is back.

tomorrow is my next appointment with him again, one foot is hurting bad.
Wish I could figure out the cause and fix.

My guy has been plagued with them for the past 1 1/2 years. We've been seeing a holistic vet for about 10 months - acupuncture and Chinese herbs. It seems to be helping for the most part.
I thought they were triggered by allergies - specifically, beef. However, he's been off beef completely for at least 10 months, and still the odd occurrence. Had an absolutely horrific flareup this summer I and couldn't quite figure out why.
I just did the Nutriscan test through Dr. Dodds. Turns out he is NOT allergic to beef, but is highly allergic to TURKEY, which is/and now WAS his primary protein source. I am hoping the test is accurate and may help us.
I tend to agree it is an immune response. A response to what? I have no idea.
I have no answers for this, and wish I did. It's bothersome and expensive for me, and very painful for my dog.
Watching and waiting for suggestions or ideas for this. It is not incapacitating, but is, as I said, a nuisance.

Please update us if you find out eliminating turkey works for you.