Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
health question

looking for some suggestions.
have a two year old female out, born and raised here.
she has been raised with all of my dogs, from pup up to seniors.
she has always been out in the yard with 3 other 1-2 year old to play, etc.
I am very familiar with her lines and they have always been a 10+ temperament.

this past month she has become a dog I do not know....she has picked fights with the girls she used to run with. they don't want to fight her back but she is relentless and I have had to pull her off.

She is now kenneled alone while I am at work and only out alone while I am home. she will be spayed this week but was wondering if there is anything else I should look for that would make her temperament do a 180? She has never acted this way, I am very upset.

Re: health question

Check thyroid.

Check her for Lyme or other Tick Borne Disease. She may just be coming into her maturity and being a wanna be, not an alpha, but a bad beta. Unless she is in some weird false pregnancy and the fights are over stuffies or other "puppies." Better spayed than sorry, though, as there are some weird temperaments popping up in the show rings.

She needs a thorough vet workup. Something strange is going on and you need to eliminate medical problems before you do anything else.

My girls can get restless and bitchy about 1 month before they come in season. It might be hormones going bad. I agree to have her checked in case there is some imbalance. Also, check their anal glands. There is something about impacted anal glands that turn dogs to each other.