Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog with mild dysplasia

I only once had to place a dog that did not pass her hips. Luckily she was sold to a vet.
I was wondering if anyone has a link to information for someone who has purchased a dog with mild dysplasia? Information like feeding and exercise routine etc. Any help appreciated. A friend is placing a dog and I wanted to help. I am thinking if would be a hard decision to take on a dog who you know may need surgery in the future. But thinking if the pet person did all the right things, maybe they can avoid surgery.

Any help appreciated,

Your Friend

Re: Dog with mild dysplasia

I'd tell the buyers that the most important thing is to keep the dog trim. Do not free-feed or over-feed. Watch the amount of treats that are given. Little ones are accepted just the same as large ones! The idea is to keep excess weight off those hips, and some breeders might be shocked by the look of a "slim" lab.

As with any puppy, don't encourage jumping until the pup is over a year old.

A home-made diet would be awesome and Vitamin C supplementation may help.

There was some discussion on one of the lab breeder lists about hip surgery at the time of spay/neuter - that is around 6-8 months. My vet really likes the idea of this and says it is easier on the dog to get it over with when they are young..... I really don't know if this is a good idea or not.

You both referred to "selling" your known dysplastic dogs. Is this correct? You asked for money for dogs that have a known serious possibly very costly or life shortening problem?
I don't know about you but I have GIVEN a few away over the years with mild HD and been VERY thankful someone was willing to open their home and wallet to them!

I have a girl who was given an OFA rating of severe hip dysplasia. It shocked me at the time because she never limped a day in her life and I had comments on how well she moved. Based on the diagnosis, I spayed her and kept her with me. At 9 years old, she still doesn't limp and jumps on the bed to sleep with me at night. I give her glucosamine and fish oil supplements and a high quality dog food. She's not overweight, nor is she thin. Not everyone has the same experience but I thought I'd share mine.

I have had a few dogs that I placed when their OFAs came back Mild. Not a single one of them has had problems in their old age and some have lived 15 years. A result of Mild does not mean the dog will have problems. It only means they are not good candidates for breeding.

A dx of mild would indicate there is no arthritis present (yet), esp if this was finals, though you don't mention the age. If it was OFA, they should have indicated why they rated the dog Mild. Subluxation? Shallow sockets? One side or both sides? If the dog is not symptomatic at age 2, I'd personally not worry. Just keep it lean, moderately well exercised and supplement w/ glucosamine/MSM and he will likely do well. But heck, I'm not a vet either. ;)

Of course, sell them. You never give away a dog. What value have you then put on the dogs. Mine were sold at $500/$600. Like someone else said, these dogs in years, like 13 have never had a problem. I suggest Glyco Flex from that point on and no one has had surgery. Thats crazy, but they just don't have a problem. How many pups would we sell that never have x-rays, so we never know about them ? These are usually beautiful dogs we have kept to show and have all kinds of socialization and lead/crate training. Just find a great home.

It amazes me how people will pay 5 to 600 dollars for a BYB dog with no testing. No history of background, temperament, conformationally not correct, with no training but cannot put a value on a dog with mild dysplasia with so many other plus marks.

Keep in mind an OFA excellent dog can get arthritis in the hips at an old age especially if that dog worked a lot as a gun dog. Borderline to mild hip dysplasia does not mean the dog will have a life of pain or be any worse off because of it. Also, I would never give a dog away for free. I think that is a bad idea because it makes it too easy with no sacrifice on the part of the pet home.

Don't forget that sometimes "free" dogs are snatched up as bait dogs & for lab testings, etc.

I have an older girl, who I wanted to place in a retirement home, I was asking the cost of her spay ( already done ), which was a couple hundred dollars. you'd be amazed at the number of inquiries I got who wanted her for free ( and some even wanted all her ribbons/trophies...she is a multi specialty winning CH )! some of these folks creeped me out so bad, I wouldn't even let them come to my home for a visit! I ended up keeping her, because I was afraid she was going to end up a bait dog, or such! I just couldn't take the chance.