Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Picky puppy

I have a four month old puppy who is a picky eater. Right now he's on ProPlan chicken and rice for puppies. Is there something I can add to it to make it more appetizing? Thank you-

Re: Picky puppy

Maybe wet with chicken broth? Or add a little ricotta cheese?

Not unless you want a picky eater for the rest of his life. Be strong and don't allow him to dictate. If he walks away, then pick it up and put it down at the next feeding time. Whatever he leaves in the dish is what he gets, even if it's one kernel of food. You put the food down for no more than 10 minutes and then pick it up. He will not starve himself.

Laura
Not unless you want a picky eater for the rest of his life. Be strong and don't allow him to dictate. If he walks away, then pick it up and put it down at the next feeding time. Whatever he leaves in the dish is what he gets, even if it's one kernel of food. You put the food down for no more than 10 minutes and then pick it up. He will not starve himself.

agree

Is the puppy teething?

Yes.

Then his mouth prolly hurts. Put the food down and give him 10 minutes to eat then pick it up. Once his mouth stops hurting he'll get back to eating normally.

A healthy dog will not starve itself to death. Repeat this mantra over and over again.

Follow this program:

Step 0: Make sure you are feeding the proper amount of a high quality, well balanced food. A 4 month old puppy may not need to eat as much as you think it should.

1) Offer breakfast. Dry food, no additives. If it's not completely eaten right away, remove it.
2) No treats. If you have to do training, use dry food left from breakfast.
2) Don't offer dinner. If you have other dogs, make sure this one sees all the other ones eating.
3) Go back to step 1.

The longest I ever had this go was 2 days. Some dogs have to have reminder sessions. For me, it's very important to see every dog eating with gusto, because loss of appetite is an early sign of illness.

What do you mean by a loss of appetite is a sign of illness? What kind of illness?

I'm not saying your puppy is ill now - your puppy is picky. I train my dogs to eat enthusiastically, so that if one does lose appetite, it's my first clue so that I know to keep a special eye on him or her. With picky eaters, that clue is not available.

Emily,
I would switch the food once to see if he doesn't like the kibble. Note I said once. My girl was like that. I tried Blue Buffalo and she has been eating heartily ever since. If she doesn't like that, then you should try the other suggestions.
We humans don't like every food. Why should we expect our dogs to?
Good luck.

Never in forty years have I ever had a pup not eat. Teething, yes, some hard times, but that's when I offer softer food. A higher quality food maybe in order here, something softer until the teeth are up. At what point in your life did your mom not feed you? Didn't she offer an array of quality proteins, with fresh veggies and dairy on the side? This business of feeding a hard nasty kibble made from by products unfit for human consumption is just strange. Our farm animals are kept better than that, why not our family members? Or is this letting the baby "cry it out"? That's another thing that goes against common decency and compassion. Have a heart!

Never
Never in forty years have I ever had a pup not eat. Teething, yes, some hard times, but that's when I offer softer food. A higher quality food maybe in order here, something softer until the teeth are up. At what point in your life did your mom not feed you? Didn't she offer an array of quality proteins, with fresh veggies and dairy on the side? This business of feeding a hard nasty kibble made from by products unfit for human consumption is just strange. Our farm animals are kept better than that, why not our family members? Or is this letting the baby "cry it out"? That's another thing that goes against common decency and compassion. Have a heart!

Well said Never!

What if the kibble is rancid?

Why wouold anyone do that to a puppy?

I had one who went off her breafast. I didn't starve her, just gave it to her later in the day and if she still left it, she had a double portion for supper and she always ate it - but then I don't feed kibble......

Never

No sense trying to argue that.