Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's in your whelping kit?

I'm looking forward to my first Lab litter in a couple of years, and my whelping kit checklist is on some old computer, never to be found again! Help me rebuild my list and get ready - what's in your whelping kit?

Re: What's in your whelping kit?

lots of pacience!!!!!

Delee suction
iodine wipes
dental floss
4X4's
lubricating gel
lots and lots of clean wash cloths
cotton embroidery floss to differentiate pups
boiled scissors
Dopram (from vet to stimulate breathing - only used it once - pup is now service dog for little girl, glad we saved her)
hemostat
thermometer
nutridrops
bulb suction
tums
heating pads
mylicon

No tylan!

I did not see tylan listed ...but why no tylan?

Sighttosea
I did not see tylan listed ...but why no tylan?
You give Tylan to newborn puppies? For what? I never have.

I keep it here but for adults and if sure it's needed.

Here
Delee suction
iodine wipes
dental floss
4X4's
lubricating gel
lots and lots of clean wash cloths
cotton embroidery floss to differentiate pups
boiled scissors
Dopram (from vet to stimulate breathing - only used it once - pup is now service dog for little girl, glad we saved her)
hemostat
thermometer
nutridrops
bulb suction
tums
heating pads
mylicon

Interesting how we all do things differently.

Deelee suction is great to have. Nancy you need a good scale too. I have never administered Dopram. I was told only a vet should by my repro and regular vets. It can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

I have 3 hemostats in case a few are born 1 after the other. It has happened, then an hour or 2 break, then 2 or 3 more pups.

If boiling scissors also boil hemostats. I soak the ends of both in alcohol after then dry. Multiple bulbs for suction too, different types.

I don't use mylicon and never had to. The same with Tums and my girls won't eat them. I give Calcium to Mum after the litter is on the ground after I make sure everyone is out. I supplement Calcium while she's nursing to replace the calcium she loses. I lower it in the last 2 weeks of nursing so from 4 weeks on she begins to get less. Same as the pups get less milk and more soaked food.

Purell and anti-bacterial soap for your hands and gloves as needed.

Overhead lamp. Fleece bedding for your whelping box. Anything else anyone else can think of for Nancy?

I have never administered Dopram. I was told only a vet should by my repro and regular vets. It can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

The puppy was "dead" without the Dopram, so how dangerous could it be to a clinically dead pup?! I will never whelp again without Dopram.

same for oxytocin. My vet is an hr and a half away, so he gives me oxytocin, and I can talk to him by phone, and take his direction, and only come to his office if we cannot solve a problem by phone consultation. he gives me drugs to have on hand, and gives advice over the phone. I am an RN, so this probably helps too.