Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recipe for liver treats

With all of the recalls I am going to now make my own treats.

Anyone have a good recipe for a no crumble in your pocket liver treat?

Thank you

Re: Recipe for liver treats

I dehydrate my liver for the dogs. I buy whole beef livers at the butchers; they freeze it and cut it into 1/4 inch slices. I put the frozen slices on wax paper on the dehydrater racks, dry till they are thawed and dry on the top side, then turn over (removing the wax paper at this point), then continue to dry till hard.

Totally dry and non-crumbling, yet supple enough to break off whatever size you need.

I store the hunks in zip-lock bags in the freezer, just keeping a small container of broken up bits on the counter, for use at home.

I do not have a dehydrator. What temperature would it be in the oven and for how long?

Thank you!

I boil it for a while, then place on parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake at about 150 degrees F until dry and rubbery.

I used to use beef heart, if I can find some again I will use it instead of liver. I had to buy a whole heart the last time. Wow that was a lot of work!!!

Donna
I do not have a dehydrator. What temperature would it be in the oven and for how long?

Thank you!

I have no idea; maybe search it on Google?

http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0179.htm

These are great - they don't crumble but you can easily break off smaller pieces or just cut them into small cubes. Makes a ton.

My favorite Liver recipe
Liver Leather
1 pound of beef or chicken livers
1 cup of Tapioca flour( not granular.. but the fine flour) you can find this sometimes at natural food stores or in the Natural food section of the market. Red Mill makes it as well as other Mills. I have also found it in the Baking aisle.

Pre-heat oven to 250
Puree liver in food processor. Add tapioca flour and mix with liver in food processor. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease it. Pour the liquid liver mixture onto the baking sheet. Cook in a low oven 250 degrees for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and leave overnight or for several hours if you start this in the morning. After about 8 hours or so Peel off the foil and you will have one huge slab of liver leather that is moist , won't crumble and the dog will be crazy for it.
I use a pizza cutter then to cut it into small squares.

This is the Simplest and best recipe I have found.

Happy training.
Kim.

I like this, and will try it with the tapioca flour. When you process the liver, is it defrosted or semi-frozen?

The liver is defrosted. Our market sells it in the little 1 pound frozen containers so it is easy to buy a bunch of them. Super reasonable too I might add.
After I cut up the leather pieces I divide them up into small freezer bags. Once you un-thaw them they need to be kept in the fridge.. as they have no preservatives in them.. So package what you will need per day or so.

This makes a ton of great treats for a very low price.

ON a side note.. on the days I make these.. my husband always seems interested in taking me out for dinner?? Go figure it might be the liver smell in the house.. but it works for me.. LOL!!!!