Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ultrasound pup count One

Just had a Ultrasound for my girl and we only saw one Puppy. I'll be going back in a few weeks for the X-ray to be sure. I know people have seen 4 and got 10, but do you think a one count is pretty accurate?

Re: Ultrasound pup count One

Diane
Just had a Ultrasound for my girl and we only saw one Puppy. I'll be going back in a few weeks for the X-ray to be sure. I know people have seen 4 and got 10, but do you think a one count is pretty accurate?

I never go by the US count. Most are not very accurate.

Ultrasound accuracy is only as good as the person performing it. If your sonographer is skilled your ultrasound will be accurate to a degree. They should be able to accurately confirm pregnancy and tell you if your having a small or a large litter but getting an exact count especially with a large litter is difficult.

Without knowing the skill level of your sonographer your question is hard to answer. Ask your sonographer what % of their predictions are accurate.

I agree it's only as good as the person looking... My repro vet has always been right on with numbers from ultrasounds at day 23 from first breeding (usually 25 from ovulation). Even with my mini litters ;)

This subject was covered recently - more info here:

http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=976632990&frmid=4&msgid=903620&cmd=show

once again
Ultrasound accuracy is only as good as the person performing it. If your sonographer is skilled your ultrasound will be accurate to a degree. They should be able to accurately confirm pregnancy and tell you if your having a small or a large litter but getting an exact count especially with a large litter is difficult.

Without knowing the skill level of your sonographer your question is hard to answer. Ask your sonographer what % of their predictions are accurate.

Most aren't accurate but it also depends on what day it's done, the u/s machine & the skill of the ultrasound vet or tech.

Ultrasound in dogs is used to confirm pregnancy, not to count. I wouldn't poke around looking to count. It could possibly cause resorption. Some fertilized eggs might still be floating and did not implant yet. They can float for 21 days after fertilizing. Not all fertilize at exactly the same time.

Count on the pre-whelp xray for the no. of puppies.

In my case the US was accurate. The vet saw one on the US and that's what she had.

Tale of two girls...

first girl we saw 2 pups on the ultrasound, she had 6.

second girl we say no puppies, had 2......

A nice barrel chest can hide puppies very early on......

not always
Tale of two girls...

first girl we saw 2 pups on the ultrasound, she had 6.

second girl we say no puppies, had 2......

A nice barrel chest can hide puppies very early on......

You're right and your situations prove it. Ultrasound as said repeatedly is not used to count puppies. No If's And's Or But's. Rarely lucky to get a correct no.

Radiographs done a couple to few days before a due date is used for counting the puppies and can still be off by 1 or 2. The closer to the due date, the better the count I find. The best count I got twice was when my bitch is in the very early stage of labor.