Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA Question - Re: Using Anesthesia

Just curious...

Does the OFA Vet who reads films ding you if your vet used anesthesia when taking the x-rays? I have heard several comments, looked on this site and could not find anything. Thank you for your help

I have found that the vets grading the joints are easier on a dog that is not put under. We did pre lims under anesthesia got a Good.... Did finals with no anesthesia came back Excellent.... Also did pre lims twice on a dog first time with anesthesia, came back fair second time no anesthesia came back Good... Don't bother calling OFA they don't know what is going on in the vets heads that are grading, they will tell you they don't grade easier but I find that they do. Plus it saves you money when you don't have to pay to put them under ;)

My last two OFA finals were done without anesthesia. Radiographs were very nice a drop of wiggling. Both came back Excellent. My first 2 in many years. No more anesthesia for my dogs with the vet I'm using. She does a great job without it.

I think they cut a little slack without anesthesia for possible movement.

Thanks good to know!

Never use anesthesia - think it gives a 'truer' picture without. My ortho vet also does not recommend it and always gets great positioning.

Question, do you literally mean anesthia vs. sedation? My vet sedates but she doesn't put the dog out.

Just to clear up things, I have never used anesthesia
I was curious how they graded if anesthesia was used
Thanks for your input - it is always good to keep informed

me
Question, do you literally mean anesthia vs. sedation? My vet sedates but she doesn't put the dog out.

Many vets are completely putting the dog out while doing films. I think they don't want to spend time with the dog and figure it's easier on them (the vets, not the dog), plus they can charge more.

A local vet charges $475 for OFAs and she wants you to drop the dog off and pick it up later like a surgery. So I guess I'm supposed to drive an hour to her clinic, drop off my dog, drive an hour home and then do the same thing a few hours later.

Instead, I chose to drive the 4 hours to Troy, OH and have Dr. Davis do them without any anesthesia. My dog ended up OFA Excellent.