Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
extender

Just looking for info. For those of us who ship semen. I just did an ultrasound on one of my girls who was bred by shipped semen on the right days and NO PUPS. The last girl I bred using same dog and extender has 1 pup, my friend bred to same dog using same extender and No pups. I am looking to see what extenders you think work best. BTW semen looked great under the scope but I am wondering if my girls somehow rejected it. Just trying to figure this all out. I am so bummed out :(

Re: extender

Odds that your girl rejected extender are slim. I would culture her and do a thyroid panel before breeding again.

Which extender? I've had problems with Chill5.

Different extenders work better with different boys. Considering what you are saying, the stud dog owner should collect and test her dog's semen with several different extenders. He/she should refrigerate all the different combinations for multiple days to see if one extender works better than the others.

What extender was it?
I just had a miss with a girl bred to a stud with chill 5. I use the same stud with same extender on another girl and no puppies either. Another breeding with another stud and Chill 10 and we got 8 puppies.

Yes, definitely different extenders work better with different dogs, but I've had problems with Chill5 both coming and going. My boy works fine with Chill10, but not with Chill5.

I've used Chill 5 and Chill 10. Litter of 8 born in October 2012 with Chill 5 - same bitch missed with same readings last year. This time the bitch went on antibiotics first. I ship airline counter to counter and Fed Ex - which ever is asked. I always wonder what happens to that box when it leaves my hand. Once I had an airline employee ask me if he could xray the box - new regulation apparently. I almost had heart failure right then and there. Who knew? If you aren't a trusted account with a carrier the regulation is to xray - I wonder if this is causing some of the problems!

So, yes, there are many factors that can come in to play. A word to the wise - doesn't help to jump to conclusions especially without basis. Might be extender, but might not. Handling of semen is important, as if sperm burning out with temp changes, then you have genetic incompatibility, timing (progesterone is a guide, not necessarily the final word), and also we are seeing more and more infertility in dogs -some of it is familial, some due to infection (might be wise to look at pedigrees with dogs that have gone sterile). Bottom line, sometimes mother nature knows best and has the final word.

I just missed for the first time in years to a well known stud dog also. What is going on ? It should be up to the stud owner to see what extender works well with his dog. We pay so much money these days and our time to end up with no pups. I never used Mini 5 or 10. Always stuck with what was working with my stud dog. I hate hearing all the misses.

Why are you jumping to the conclusion it was the extender? How about testing your bitch to make sure nothing is going on with her. Plus, I always check the semen when I receive it to make sure it's alive and kickin'! To do a successful breeding it's the responsibility of both parties, don't you think?

I have a girl bred 5 wks ago by chilled/Chill 5. So far, looking good (been pretty punky and girth has really jumped the past couple days). The first shipment was odd in that it was clumped though. I later learned that the vet had to collect more than just the sperm rich fraction on that day so probably contributed to the clumping. The sperm seemed fine despite that acc'g to the vet, but he was worried the sperm could break away from the clumping to get the job done. We had another shipment on the way for the next day which was perfect, used same extender, and had a teaser bitch there, so who knows. I thought the only real difference between Chill 5 and 10 was the addition of egg, but maybe not??? Anyhow, not that I breed a lot but over the past 3 years or so, I've just used the Chill 5, and so far, so good. I'm thinking I'm batting 1000 (5 for 5) if I'm right on this one. I agree on looking into other things in addition to what's already been mentioned-- supplements maybe that are interfering? Stress? Exposure to stuff w/ other dogs at shows, etc?