Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breeder inquiries

Will AKC tell me if a breeder is a high volume breeder? Anyway to find out how many pups a breeder has produced?

Re: Breeder inquiries

That is not of your business, so no, I don't think so.

Breeder
That is not of your business, so no, I don't think so.

Why not! The signature said puppy buyer and if I was a puppy buyer I sure as hell would want to know as much about the breeder as I could, including if they were a high volume breeder.

If it's a high volume kennel situation sometimes the pups don't get the socialization they need after 7 to 8 weeks of age. There are critical socialization periods before 14 weeks and if the pups miss some of those, no matter how clean the kennel and how well cared for they are, the pups can have social problems later on like shutting down in new situations or being shy and spooky. If the breeder is in a habit of keeping pups back to evaluate at a later age for showing or whatever it is critical to get those pups out of the kennel and take them on socialization trips.

Check their web site. If they have a lot of litters listed, I think you have your answer.

Also check the newspaper in their area and any dog magazines that advertize puppies for sale. People with lots of puppies to sell have to advertize.

In NYS high volumn dog breeders are inspected and given a PD (?? puppy dealer number) Sometimes you might see them bragging in their ads and showing this number. I don't see how it is not a puppy buyer's business but it's the business of AKC (with their inspections) and the state. Not sure if other sates have these inspections. Finally go to their home or kennel. You can learn a lot more than from a web site with pictures of just a few of their dogs frolicking in feilds and ponds.

For a list in NYS google NYS Dept of Agriculture and Markets licensed pet dealers

No, I don't think AKC will give this to you, but for the most part you can take a good guess if they have pups available every month of the year and have 5+ bitches of breeding age.

me
No, I don't think AKC will give this to you, but for the most part you can take a good guess if they have pups available every month of the year and have 5+ bitches of breeding age.

You know, by that criteria you would have a list containing most of the breeders who win or place at specialties. People need to get over this.

me

I personally have 5+ girls between 2 yrs and 7 yrs (breeding age)
I might have 2 litters a year.

This quote would also cover 90% of the show breeders I know.
Educate yourself

Having litters every month of the year is not the same as having multiple breeding animals but only 2 litters per year. Also, the fact that some people who breed 10-20 litters per year win at specialties is irrelevant if one is concerned about proper socialization of pups; there have been several dogs at specialties that have questionable temperaments and social issues. Some of these dogs are champions!

As a puppy buyer, I would want to visit the facility and interact with the breeder well in advance of bringing home a puppy. Does the breeder make time for puppy owner questions, do the sire and dam have the clearances I would expect, what are the dogs’ living conditions and temperaments like, are the dogs proven in various venues or are they primarily breeding animals, etc.? We all have different standards so what I would prefer is not what someone else would prefer. While volume of dogs bred should not be the only criteria when looking for a breeder, I think breeding high quality dogs out of fewer litters takes a lot more commitment and skill than breeding 10 to 20 litters a year and getting the occasional winner.

Why not just ask the person?

Breeder
Having litters every month of the year is not the same as having multiple breeding animals but only 2 litters per year. Also, the fact that some people who breed 10-20 litters per year win at specialties is irrelevant if one is concerned about proper socialization of pups; there have been several dogs at specialties that have questionable temperaments and social issues. Some of these dogs are champions!

As a puppy buyer, I would want to visit the facility and interact with the breeder well in advance of bringing home a puppy. Does the breeder make time for puppy owner questions, do the sire and dam have the clearances I would expect, what are the dogs’ living conditions and temperaments like, are the dogs proven in various venues or are they primarily breeding animals, etc.? We all have different standards so what I would prefer is not what someone else would prefer. While volume of dogs bred should not be the only criteria when looking for a breeder, I think breeding high quality dogs out of fewer litters takes a lot more commitment and skill than breeding 10 to 20 litters a year and getting the occasional winner.

Amen.

LOL, must have hit a nerve with some folks. I DID say litters available every month of the year. I didn't say 2 times a year. I actually do know the difference. And I meant having pups available ALL the time.

Winning at Specialties only means you are breeding a dog that other breeders like. I know that it's a big honor and all, but I am not going to think better of a specialty winner if all they are is a breeding powerhouse.

I stand by what I said, if you have a ton of breeding ages bitches and have puppies available all the time, you are just breeding for the sake of breeding. And I wouldn't recommend that kind of breeder to a puppy buyer.

Sometimes I get calls from people interested in buying a puppy and they are checking out some kennels. If I don't have any pups available, then they might mention the names of some other kennels. If one raises a red flag with me then I tell the people that it is a known puppy mill, or one who has a lot of litters and pups are not properly socialized, one who doesn't even do the minimum of clearances, etc. Check with several breeders in the area you plan to buy your puppy from. Also check the breeders pages of specialty club websites. One reputable breeder on that site who does not have a pup for you can refer you on to reputable breeder who does.

I get so tired of all you judgmental b*tches on here. Who are you to judge someone just because they breed more litters a year than you? Why is it wrong for someone to breed and make money doing what they love to do? It's ok for Vets, Handlers, Pet Supply Companies, Dog Food Companies, etc to make money off our dogs, but God forbid a breeder make money? Who are you to judge a person who has more dogs than you and breeds more? Who are you say they do a substandard job just because they are wanting to make money? Who cares if someone hires help or has family to help raise their monthly litters? Who cares if someone does all their clearances and still breeds monthly litters? Why is it so important to you? Show me statistics that dogs sold through pet stores are any less healthy or have more behavior problems than those obtained through other means. You can't because there aren't any. Just because people don't breed the way you do, doesn't give you the right to cast judgment on them. If they are truly abusing dogs, turn them into the authorities. Otherwise, just enjoy your dogs, do your thing and don't worry about what others are doing.

And no I do not breed a large amount of dogs and I have specialty winning dogs. I won't even be having another litter until 2014 if that. But I also keep an open mind and try to mind my own business.