Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Petco

https://www.facebook.com/PETCOfoundation?fref=ts

Looks Like Petco lost a whole lot of money today, supporting the "I HATE DOG BREEDERS" Facebook page. Anybody on FB should go to the Petco Foundation Facebook page and voice their opinion about this. I myself will never spend another dime there.

Re: Petco

Don't take this as condoning the page, but since this is on FB - are we sure this is coming directly from someone at PetCo rather than just someone who made up a page using that name? Just trying to make sure this "support" of the anti-breeder page is legit.

I looked through the page, it looks pretty legit to me. If you go through the "about" area, there is a lot of information. Somebody would have to put in a lot of work to make a page that detailed, I don't see why somebody would do that for nothing.

They eliminated the post and apologized.

Too late! They showed their true feelings - I will avoid PetCo at all costs!

I haven't gone to Petco since they let 100 animals drown in a flood, here, last year. They had plenty of time warning to get the animals out.

"Unfortunately, we made a poor choice of where to share the post from and would like to apologize to the legitimate breeders that we inadvertently insulted in the process."

This shows that they aren't sorry for their feelings about us, just that they chose to share it publicly!

Too little too late, and not nearly enough. I told everyone I know about this, and informed all of my puppy buyers (past and present) that Petco hates me. I will never cross the door way of a Petco again. I will continue spreading the news every chance I get.

Here is the original picture they shared from the "I Hate Dog Breeders" FB group.

Yes it was on the Petco Foundation FB page. They took the offending shared picture down, but the hatred continues.

I've written a very nice but firm letter to the Petco Corporation which included a copy of the offending picture and my cut up Petco Pals card informing them of why I am no longer a customer and why I will tell my puppy people and anyone else I can not to be their customers either.

Petco Animal Supplies National Support Center
9125 Rehco Road
San Diego, CA 92121

Some of the vocal responses against breeders on that site were a bit curious to me (as to why there are so many dogs in shelters)so I looked up some stats on the ASPCA web site:

Facts about U.S. Animal Shelters:

There are about 5,000 community animal shelters nationwide that are independent; there is no national organization monitoring these shelters. The terms “humane society” and “SPCA” are generic; shelters using those names are not part of the ASPCA or the Humane Society of the United States. Currently, no government institution or animal organization is responsible for tabulating national statistics for the animal protection movement.
· Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats). Shelter intakes are about evenly divided between those animals relinquished by owners and those picked up by animal control. These are national estimates; the percentage of euthanasia may vary from state to state.
· According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), less than 2 percent of cats and only 15 to 20 percent of dogs are returned to their owners. Most of these were identified with tags, tattoos or microchips.
· Twenty-five percent of dogs who enter local shelters are purebred. (Source: NCPPSP)
· Only 10 percent of the animals received by shelters have been spayed or neutered, while 78 percent of pet dogs and 88 percent of pet cats are spayed or neutered, according to the American Pet Products Association (Source: APPA).
· More than 20 percent of people who leave dogs in shelters adopted them from a shelter. (Source: NCPPSP)
Facts about Pet Ownership in the U.S.:
· About 62 percent of all households in the United States have a pet. (Source: APPA)
· About 78.2 million dogs and about 86.4 million cats are owned in the United States. (Source: APPA)
· According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), about 65 percent of pet owners acquire their pets free or at low cost.
· The majority of pets are obtained from acquaintances and family members. Twenty-six percent of dogs are purchased from breeders, 20 to 30 percent of cats and dogs are adopted from shelters and rescues, and 2 to 10 percent are purchased from pet shops.
· At least one-third of cats are acquired as strays. (Source: APPA)
· More than 20 percent of people who leave dogs in shelters adopted them from a shelter. (Source: NCPPSP)
· The cost of spaying and neutering a pet is less than the cost of raising puppies or kittens for one year.
· The average cost of basic food, supplies, medical care and training for a dog or cat is $600 to $900 annually. Seventy-eight percent of pet dogs and 88 percent of pet cats are spayed or neutered. (Source: APPA)
According to these statistics, only 26% of dogs are purchased from breeders; the majority of pet owners (65%) have acquired their pet for free or at a low cost, which suggests they either get them from shelters from friends who have puppies, or from idiots who give free pups to good homes out of the backs of their trucks at supermarkets. More than 20% of the people who leave dogs at shelters adopted them from a shelter. 78% of the dogs coming into shelters are not neutered or spayed.

While I do have empathy for the number of dogs in shelters, it appears to me that the primary reason shelters exist is to support the surrenders from the high number of irresponsible pet owners out there and not irresponsible “breeders” (and by breeder I do not mean people who have oops litters or breed the family pet – that is not a breeder but someone dealing with the consequences of irresponsible pet ownership). While there are irresponsible breeders who do contribute to the problem, they are no more responsible than the person they sold the dog to in the first place.

One fifth of the dogs that cycle through shelters are sent back by people who adopted them from shelters to begin with! That is sad.

I suspect that the number of strays picked up would be far fewer if owners would spay and neuter them to keep them from reproducing.

If people really want to see the number of dogs in shelters decline:

1. EDUCATE yourselves! If you are going to bring a pet home, fully understand what that means. This is a choice that should be made with the understanding that the dog is your responsibility for its ENTIRE LIFETIME, NOT merely until there is a divorce, there are children, there is a move, the landlord discovers the dog, more demands on your time are made, there is a job loss, the dog gets sick, etc. Understand the dog you are bringing home, its eventual size, its temperament, the demands on your time and your wallet.
2. EDUCATE/TRAIN your dogs! It is your responsibility to ensure your dog has basic control, manners and social skills. The longer you let this go, the worse it will be later, and you will have no one to blame but yourselves.
3. SPAY/NEUTER your dogs! Your dogs and its offspring are your responsibility (accident or not); if you are not willing to assume that responsibility, do not leave your dog intact.
4. If you do not want to obtain a dog from a breeder, then by all means, adopt from a shelter. If you do, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Meet the breeder at their home, verify health clearances on the sire and dam, discuss breeder guarantees and contracts. Ask for references. Discuss the breed of dog, average activity level, average costs of ownership, average size at adulthood, etc. This will ensure you will be bringing home the dog that best fits your lifestyle, needs and budget.
5. If you have a problem with puppy mills or BYBs, DO NOT BUY from them! Do not buy from Pet Stores. The reason they are in business and continue to operate is because they are making money from YOU.
6. Once you have your dog, COMMIT TO IT! While reputable breeders do everything they can to minimize potential health and temperament issues, a dog is a living, breathing animal whose genetic make-up cannot be completely controlled. Some dogs will have issues despite the best efforts to minimize them. Dogs will get sick, dogs will eat things they should not, dogs will get loose and puppy buyers will have vet expenses. Some of them may be quite huge. If you are not prepared to take on this responsibility, do not adopt/purchase a dog. Some dogs will not be interested in jogging with you, swimming, or chasing a Frisbee. If you cannot appreciate a dog for who they are, do not adopt/purchase a dog.
7. Because things happen that are out of our control, some surrenders become necessary. If you have made sure that you have obtained your pet from a responsible source (one who will take the dog back at any time), there is no reason for the dog to go to a shelter and should not.

If people would not surrender their pets or allow them to roam un-neutered/spayed, shelters would not be full of dogs. If people would stop purchasing from puppy mills, there would not be raids on those facilities (that end up with hundreds of animals in shelters) because those facilities would not exist – they cannot without $ from sales.

I really fail to see how “breeders” are the root cause of overflowing shelters. I do see how irresponsible pet ownership is, however.

Breeder
Some of the vocal responses against breeders on that site were a bit curious to me (as to why there are so many dogs in shelters)so I looked up some stats on the ASPCA web site:

There are about 5,000 community animal shelters nationwide that are independent; there is no national organization monitoring these shelters. The terms “humane society” and “SPCA” are generic; shelters using those names are not part of the ASPCA or the Humane Society of the United States. Currently, no government institution or animal organization is responsible for tabulating national statistics for the animal protection movement.
· Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats). Shelter intakes are about evenly divided between those animals relinquished by owners and those picked up by animal control. These are national estimates; the percentage of euthanasia may vary from state to state.
· According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), less than 2 percent of cats and only 15 to 20 percent of dogs are returned to their owners. Most of these were identified with tags, tattoos or microchips.
· Twenty-five percent of dogs who enter local shelters are purebred. (Source: NCPPSP)
· Only 10 percent of the animals received by shelters have been spayed or neutered, while 78 percent of pet dogs and 88 percent of pet cats are spayed or neutered, according to the American Pet Products Association (Source: APPA).
· About 62 percent of all households in the United States have a pet. (Source: APPA)
· About 78.2 million dogs and about 86.4 million cats are owned in the United States. (Source: APPA)
· According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), about 65 percent of pet owners acquire their pets free or at low cost.
· The majority of pets are obtained from acquaintances and family members. Twenty-six percent of dogs are purchased from breeders, 20 to 30 percent of cats and dogs are adopted from shelters and rescues, and 2 to 10 percent are purchased from pet shops.
· The cost of spaying and neutering a pet is less than the cost of raising puppies or kittens for one year.
· The average cost of basic food, supplies, medical care and training for a dog or cat is $600 to $900 annually. Seventy-eight percent of pet dogs and 88 percent of pet cats are spayed or neutered. (Source: APPA)
According to these statistics, only 26% of dogs are purchased from breeders; the majority of pet owners (65%) have acquired their pet for free or at a low cost, which suggests they either get them from shelters from friends who have puppies, or from idiots who give free pups to good homes out of the backs of their trucks at supermarkets. More than 20% of the people who leave dogs at shelters adopted them from a shelter. 78% of the dogs coming into shelters are not neutered or spayed.

While I do have empathy for the number of dogs in shelters, it appears to me that the primary reason shelters exist is to support the surrenders from the high number of irresponsible pet owners out there and not irresponsible “breeders” (and by breeder I do not mean people who have oops litters or breed the family pet – that is not a breeder but someone dealing with the consequences of irresponsible pet ownership). While there are irresponsible breeders who do contribute to the problem, they are no more responsible than the person they sold the dog to in the first place.

One fifth of the dogs that cycle through shelters are sent back by people who adopted them from shelters to begin with! That is sad.

I suspect that the number of strays picked up would be far fewer if owners would spay and neuter them to keep them from reproducing.

1. EDUCATE yourselves! If you are going to bring a pet home, fully understand what that means. This is a choice that should be made with the understanding that the dog is your responsibility for its ENTIRE LIFETIME, NOT merely until there is a divorce, there are children, there is a move, the landlord discovers the dog, more demands on your time are made, there is a job loss, the dog gets sick, etc. Understand the dog you are bringing home, its eventual size, its temperament, the demands on your time and your wallet.
2. EDUCATE/TRAIN your dogs! It is your responsibility to ensure your dog has basic control, manners and social skills. The longer you let this go, the worse it will be later, and you will have no one to blame but yourselves.
3. SPAY/NEUTER your dogs! Your dogs and its offspring are your responsibility (accident or not); if you are not willing to assume that responsibility, do not leave your dog intact.
4. If you do not want to obtain a dog from a breeder, then by all means, adopt from a shelter. If you do, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Meet the breeder at their home, verify health clearances on the sire and dam, discuss breeder guarantees and contracts. Ask for references. Discuss the breed of dog, average activity level, average costs of ownership, average size at adulthood, etc. This will ensure you will be bringing home the dog that best fits your lifestyle, needs and budget.
5. If you have a problem with puppy mills or BYBs, DO NOT BUY from them! Do not buy from Pet Stores. The reason they are in business and continue to operate is because they are making money from YOU.
6. Once you have your dog, COMMIT TO IT! While reputable breeders do everything they can to minimize potential health and temperament issues, a dog is a living, breathing animal whose genetic make-up cannot be completely controlled. Some dogs will have issues despite the best efforts to minimize them. Dogs will get sick, dogs will eat things they should not, dogs will get loose and puppy buyers will have vet expenses. Some of them may be quite huge. If you are not prepared to take on this responsibility, do not adopt/purchase a dog. Some dogs will not be interested in jogging with you, swimming, or chasing a Frisbee. If you cannot appreciate a dog for who they are, do not adopt/purchase a dog.
7. Because things happen that are out of our control, some surrenders become necessary. If you have made sure that you have obtained your pet from a responsible source (one who will take the dog back at any time), there is no reason for the dog to go to a shelter and should not.

If people would not surrender their pets or allow them to roam un-neutered/spayed, shelters would not be full of dogs. If people would stop purchasing from puppy mills, there would not be raids on those facilities (that end up with hundreds of animals in shelters) because those facilities would not exist – they cannot without $ from sales.

I really fail to see how “breeders” are the root cause of overflowing shelters. I do see how irresponsible pet ownership is, however.

May I have your permission to cross-post this? Your answer is one of most intelligent I've ever seen on this issue.

Laura
Breeder

May I have your permission to cross-post this? Your answer is one of most intelligent I've ever seen on this issue.

Sure, if it will help people think about it a bit more, cross-post away

Thank you.

Laura,
May we have permission to post this link and also link to this from our websites (for those of us that have them) so we can help to spread the message of what Petco is really all about?

Breeder

Can I post this in Facebook? It is probably the fastest way to spread a message.
Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Well done!

Josh
Laura,
May we have permission to post this link and also link to this from our websites (for those of us that have them) so we can help to spread the message of what Petco is really all about?

Absolutely.

Thanks!