Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rough coat, thyroid?

I have a lab with a rough coat and kinked whiskers. I know that the guard hairs should be coarse, but how coarse? Should it feel rough when running a hand along their back? I wonder if this could be the sign of a thyroid issue?

Re: Rough coat, thyroid?

Stop wondering and just do a test at your vet. Even if you don't splurge and do the extensive testing and involve Dr. Dodds, your vet should be able to tell you if your dog is high/low/normal. My vet charges $40. Not a big deal.

me
Stop wondering and just do a test at your vet. Even if you don't splurge and do the extensive testing and involve Dr. Dodds, your vet should be able to tell you if your dog is high/low/normal. My vet charges $40. Not a big deal.

Thanks ME. I was also wondering whether to send a sample to Jean Dodds. $40 is very reasonable!

It's a good place to start. I have 2 seniors (one never had any classic thyroid issues) but had problems losing weight and the other gained alot and got a very rough coat. Both had low enough numbers to have the vet put them on low dosage medication. We get an inexpensive version of soloxine, $35 for 3 months for each dog. After retests, one dog needed to change to 2x a day, and both have normal numbers.

If something seems seriously wrong, your vet will tell you and you can go the Dodds route for a more "qualified" opinion at that point.

Good luck.

My rough coat senior seems to come in and out of his roughness though. It might just be "old age" for him.

me
It's a good place to start. I have 2 seniors (one never had any classic thyroid issues) but had problems losing weight and the other gained alot and got a very rough coat. Both had low enough numbers to have the vet put them on low dosage medication. We get an inexpensive version of soloxine, $35 for 3 months for each dog. After retests, one dog needed to change to 2x a day, and both have normal numbers.

If something seems seriously wrong, your vet will tell you and you can go the Dodds route for a more "qualified" opinion at that point.

Good luck.

My rough coat senior seems to come in and out of his roughness though. It might just be "old age" for him.

Thanks for all the info.

This is a young dog, so it's a long shot, but if she needs the meds she will get them. I'm on thyroid meds myself and have learned that buying in quantity is more economical....