Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
14+ old girl - some probable spinal stenosis- poop falls out

my old girl's poop is falling out in the morning when she gets up. I realize that this is normal with this condition and that I have to manage it, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to make things a bit easier. The poop is not so bad to deal with, but I'm imaging that urinary incontinence will be next.......we love her dearly, but I'm thinking that this is going to just get worse...........she sleeps in the bedroom, and as soon as she gets up the poop falls out on the bedroom rug. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to move her to the kitchen, and she's not going to be happy.......

Re: 14+ old girl - some probable spinal stenosis- poop falls out

I went through fecal incontinence with my senior lab and remembered the old show trick about using a matchstick to induce elimination before going into the show ring. On our last potty break of the evening, I would use a match stick, and she would poop within a minute or two, so I knew that she wouldn't have any accidents during the night. Hoepfully it would last through to the morning for you, but if not, perhaps adjusting her mealtimes would help. Maybe you would have to feed her once a day?

We had urinary incontinence too and I used the no-name brand of "Depends" with a hole cut in them for her tail, and adjustments in the elastic which holds them on. She slept in half a vari-kennel to contain any leaks.

Good luck with your oldie.

There's medicine for urinary incontinence these days.

Can you get up once during the night? My oldest is going to be 14 soon and I know sometimes it is "Poop There It Is" but I try to get him out every few hours whether he indicates he has to go out or not. If I wake up during the night, I wake him up and take him out.

I make him walk a bit to get him into the yard. He does not do steps well so I take him out the front door and walk him into the back yard for most potties except when he eats. I feed them on the lower level so he goes right out the patio door.

This morning I let him out at 5:30 AM (I work shift work). Fed him at 7:30. He was aiming to go back upstairs but I could tell he had a BM coming. I just got him out the door as it came out.

Reader
Can you get up once during the night? My oldest is going to be 14 soon and I know sometimes it is "Poop There It Is" but I try to get him out every few hours whether he indicates he has to go out or not. If I wake up during the night, I wake him up and take him out.

I make him walk a bit to get him into the yard. He does not do steps well so I take him out the front door and walk him into the back yard for most potties except when he eats. I feed them on the lower level so he goes right out the patio door.

This morning I let him out at 5:30 AM (I work shift work). Fed him at 7:30. He was aiming to go back upstairs but I could tell he had a BM coming. I just got him out the door as it came out.

I hated to do it, but I matched her last night. She often will go out, but I think that "assuming the position" might be a bit uncomfortable, and that she won't necessarily go unless absolutely necessary.....(she had past knee surgery) I'm also going to maybe feed her a bigger meal in the am, and maybe a lower residue meal at dinner time. Even if I let her out in the am, she won't go....all she is thinking about is breakfast!

Thanks all for your replys......