Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
8week old puppy with an overbite

I just bought a 8week old yellow lab yesterday, and took him to my vet for a check up. They told me he has a severe over bite and the bottom canine are putting a hole in his hard palate. Their suggestions were: A. give him back to their breeder. B. have them pulled or C.Shorten them with a root canal. The vet feels if I get them pulled his toungue will fall out, because he doesn't have anything holding it back properly. I am new to owning a dog/puppy and I am trying to figure out what to do. Will the tongue fall out if I have them pulled and will this overbite be an on going medical problem? Because according to my vet this will be an on going high medical bill if I decide to keep my puppy. Any suggestions or has anyone been through this very same problem?

Re: 8week old puppy with an overbite

Kristina
I just bought a 8week old yellow lab yesterday, and took him to my vet for a check up. They told me he has a severe over bite and the bottom canine are putting a hole in his hard palate. Their suggestions were: A. give him back to their breeder. B. have them pulled or C.Shorten them with a root canal. The vet feels if I get them pulled his toungue will fall out, because he doesn't have anything holding it back properly. I am new to owning a dog/puppy and I am trying to figure out what to do. Will the tongue fall out if I have them pulled and will this overbite be an on going medical problem? Because according to my vet this will be an on going high medical bill if I decide to keep my puppy. Any suggestions or has anyone been through this very same problem?

This is not nearly as severe as this vet has led you to believe. If it is hitting the roof of the mouth, the puppy tooth can be extracted or clipped by a vet. The lower jaw may widen or correct as the puppy grows and it may not. In my experience with the couple we have had here, they generally stay about the same. Once the adult teeth come in, it may be necessary to grind the canine down or the tooth may be extracted if it is causing irritation to the roof of the mouth. If it is not, I would suggest leaving it alone.

They don't require anything special beyond this. It does not affect them being a healthy pet or even an effective field dog. Their tongues do not "fall out of their mouths". They behave no differently than a dog with a scissor bite. I would be a bit suspicious of a vet that gives this kind of advice.

On the other hand, I am surprised your breeder did not show you this and explain any of this.

Enjoy your new puppy.

With advice like that I would RUN to find a new vet!!

When I took my pups to my vet for their well puppy exams there were 2 with overbites. She took her handy dandy Millers Forge nail clippers and nipped off the ends of the bottom canines. Must have taken all of 20 seconds. The puppies did not know anything had happened. And there was no additional charge on my bill. Within days, the tiny roof holes filled in. Your vet is either stupid or dishonest. Either way, you need to find a new vet.

breeder
When I took my pups to my vet for their well puppy exams there were 2 with overbites. She took her handy dandy Millers Forge nail clippers and nipped off the ends of the bottom canines. Must have taken all of 20 seconds. The puppies did not know anything had happened. And there was no additional charge on my bill. Within days, the tiny roof holes filled in. Your vet is either stupid or dishonest. Either way, you need to find a new vet.

I did it myself with a human toenail clipper. Just the 2 bottom canines. Pup did have a very slight overbite as an adult, but never needed any other dental work, and never had any problems. Just how bad is this overbite? How big is the space between the top and bottom teeth? Could you fit a match up there? A pencil eraser? Just how big? Does he look deformed when his mouth is shut, or normal?

Thank you for all the advice...it is good to know that someone else has dealt with this and it isn't a big problem. I have looked him over and if you look at him front view he looks normal, but if he is on his back then you can see the overbite. His top teeth are not sticking out far enough to put a pencil eraser between the top and bottoms. I think I could fit a match between them. I do agree that I need to find another vet because she never suggested clipping the top of the bottom canines and wait. She was implying that I would have to spend $500 each canine if I have to do a root canal. She also said my puppy's overbite can probably get worse. Is that true?

Did the breeder tell you about the overbite? Did the breeders vet see the overbite and what was their opinion?

Kristina
Thank you for all the advice...it is good to know that someone else has dealt with this and it isn't a big problem. I have looked him over and if you look at him front view he looks normal, but if he is on his back then you can see the overbite. His top teeth are not sticking out far enough to put a pencil eraser between the top and bottoms. I think I could fit a match between them. I do agree that I need to find another vet because she never suggested clipping the top of the bottom canines and wait. She was implying that I would have to spend $500 each canine if I have to do a root canal. She also said my puppy's overbite can probably get worse. Is that true?

What you have does not seem like a huge problem. Find another vet. A few things can happen. The bite will stay like it is, and he will do fine. The bite will correct and he will do fine. The bite will get worse, and then you see where to go from there. The pup I had with an overbite was bigger than yours. Eraser size at 8 weeks. It did not get better or worse and never required any further dental work.

I agree that the overbite doesn't seem as bad as the vet has made it sound. She knew I was a new owner and didn't know much about overbites on a lab, only what I read on the internet(those are some scarey stories). It helped when someone posted how much of a gap it was by using objects to measure....matches,or a pencil eraser. My breeder did call me when her vet saw this overbite. Her vet said it was minor and to leave it. That's why I was confused and shocked when my vet said different and to give my puppy back. It was very upsetting to hear because in that short amount of time we had Marley.....my boys fell in love.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help

I would not consider that a bad overbite at all.
just have your vet (a different one) snip the tops of the baby canines so they dont touch the roof of the mouth.
He will be fine.

I have seen a pup with overbites where you could get your thumb up there and they did just fine growing up. No surgery necessary.

Find a vet that not only has the knowledge but has common sense. Amazing how many come out of vet school with no real life experience only what they read in a book.

Your vet is wrong. Never heard of a root canal. The others are right. Glad your breeder had told you about it. But suggestion are right. Enjoy your pup.

Happy ending to a potentially scary situation for a first time puppy owner. Sounds like the breeder did their job correctly, and you did well to post on the forum.......that's why (for the most part) it works because of all the good advice you can get here. No surgery for puppy, happy new puppy owner and one stupid vet

WE are very happy with our puppy and don't plan on giving him back like the vet suggested. I have found another vet by word of mouth, and I hope to have a much better experience with this one. Everyone has been so helpful including the breeder:)Thank you so much!!!!