Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marquise/Ponazuril dosage

Does anyone out there use Marquise straight? (Ponazuril15%)
If so, please tell me what dosage you use on your puppies for coccidia.
thank you

Re: Marquise/Ponazuril dosage

I don't know if this will help you, but my large bottle of Ponazuril says,
Ponazuril 90mg/ml, please give 1 ml per 10 lbs weight for 2 days.

I give it as a preventative to my pups as all the bird droppings here are full of coccidia.

my bottle of ponazuril from Road Runner says 150mg/ml and .06 cc per 10lb
were are you getting the 15% from?

My Ponazuril is straight called Marquise, non compounded.

I use Marquis paste straight. Dosage given by my vet is .1 cc per 1 1/2 lbs. I usually only give it one day. If coccidia is really bad you can give it 2 days in a row.

Thank you!

If you want a cheaper option, use Toltrazuril at 1 cc/10 Lb.

http://www.horseprerace.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24

Breeder

I looked at this site, very interesting with great price, is it without prescription?

To answer Sampson Labs question... a 1% solution or paste always is equal to 10mg of the drug - hence 15% = 150 mg.

here
Breeder

I looked at this site, very interesting with great price, is it without prescription?

No prescription. I've been using it for a few months now and I've had great results. I use it at 2, 4, 6, and 8 weeks before they go to their new homes. 1 bottle would last for many litters.

So do you give just 1 dose- 1 Day at 2,4,6,8 weeks? This is an interesting option.

thank you, gotcha :O)

but to the other response....it is still compounded in the paste, it is not straight ponazuril.
Road Runner compounds in a liquid.

What works for me...
So do you give just 1 dose- 1 Day at 2,4,6,8 weeks? This is an interesting option.

Yes, one dose. I also do Panacur at the same time, so they are all covered.

here

I give it as a preventative to my pups as all the bird droppings here are full of coccidia.

FYI, it's a treatment NOT a preventative!

again
here

FYI, it's a treatment NOT a preventative!

Wrong. It is more effective if used as a preventative. It does not prevent like a vaccine but kills any present coccidia before signs show up.

The breeder who posted about Toltrazuril....I have a question, why the repeated dosing ? Why not just one dose ?

Marquise or Tortrazuril kills the coccidia that is in GI tract a the moment of administration but it will not prevent the puppy from getting re-infected. The incubation period is 5 days. In order to prevent the puppy from getting sick, you have to kill the coccidia again and again before it causes symptoms. By 10 weeks a healthy puppy is old enough to keep the infection at bay with its own immune system. It can be used every 3 week but I prefer to do it at the same time I do the regular worming every 2 weeks. I've read a couple of articles where is says that it has some residual effect, but that is not proven in puppies.

Breeder
Marquise or Tortrazuril kills the coccidia that is in GI tract a the moment of administration but it will not prevent the puppy from getting re-infected. The incubation period is 5 days. In order to prevent the puppy from getting sick, you have to kill the coccidia again and again before it causes symptoms. By 10 weeks a healthy puppy is old enough to keep the infection at bay with its own immune system. It can be used every 3 week but I prefer to do it at the same time I do the regular worming every 2 weeks. I've read a couple of articles where is says that it has some residual effect, but that is not proven in puppies.

This is interesting. I've used Ponazerol for several years and only 1 dose for two days in a row and then I never have another problem with coccidia. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I have used it for 4 years now, only give a 2 day dose at 2 weeks and then again at 7 weeks to be sure they are clear for 8 week health certificates.

Thank you breeders for this forum. I read with great interest as this is a new subject to me. I have a very serious coccidiosis issue going on here and have lost several kittens to this. My vet would only give me Albon however I was at a show with a vet present and he recommended Ponazuril. at 227 mg suspension per ml. I know I don't really belong here but maybe my question can help others understand how to dilute the paste to a usable portion without ruining the entire tube.

So question would be.. how do you get a 227 mg suspension per ml.