Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bad check/stolen puppy

I am putting out this alert on a woman by the name of Rosemary C. McBath-Toigo. From the PA/MD area. She bought a puppy from Lee and Barb Adkins of Noreasterlabradors.com Gave a bad check and after repeated calls has not made it good and has the puppy with papers. A yellow male puppy. She may try to resell the puppy. If anyone is contacted by this woman or may know anything about her please contact the Adkins at Noreasterbreeze@comcast.net. You can go to their website and read the whole story about this. If contacted to try to buy a puppy DO NOT SELL to her.

Re: Bad check/stolen puppy

Sadie Moore
I am putting out this alert on a woman by the name of Rosemary C. McBath-Toigo. From the PA/MD area. She bought a puppy from Lee and Barb Adkins of Noreasterlabradors.com Gave a bad check and after repeated calls has not made it good and has the puppy with papers. A yellow male puppy. She may try to resell the puppy. If anyone is contacted by this woman or may know anything about her please contact the Adkins at Noreasterbreeze@comcast.net. You can go to their website and read the whole story about this. If contacted to try to buy a puppy DO NOT SELL to her.

Perfect example why I no longer accept personal checks. Thats too bad

I hope they called the police. What a terrible story. Sometimes we do things out of our norm to be kind when we hear about special circumstances. A puppy already in the car would have me backing out of the deal. If you take checks wait until they clear before giving out the papers. I know a breeder who doesn't mail out the papers until proof of spay or neuter, months later!

that is a crime and they need to make a police report for stolen goods.
checks are only excepted 2 weeks before pups go home, so they clear.
any balance due at pick up is in cash only. Just good business sense...but hopefully I continue my good sense of knowing good and bad people.

I am so sorry you were tricked but who sells a puppy with one phone call? There were a ton of things you could have checked, the Vets office she said she worked for, a quick check on google about her brother that passed, a quick check on the kill shelter of the pup she had. The name and number of the breeder on the first pup that died.. I would never have let that pup go. I understand you had a number of challenges but it almost just sounds like you were looking to place a pup fast. I am so sorry, but I fell so bad for that pup right now. With all the technology we have at our finger tips it would have not been a big effort to check her out and catch her in her lies. I hope you get that puppy back and hopefully all who read this and your website post will learn a valuable lesson. We should all do the very best to find the perfect homes for our pups, you are indeed a great person to let her take your pick pup with that one story.

I agree - 15 seconds on Google with a name that is pretty unique and I've found she was indited on two counts of identity theft. That right there would be answer enough - No Puppy!

Just curious, how do you find out the police report that people are indited w/o paying for it?

sad
Sadie Moore

Perfect example why I no longer accept personal checks. Thats too bad

Perfect example as to why I don't sell puppies to people I don't know or people who don't come highly recommended by people I know.

So sad, more for the puppy than the money lost. Hope things turn out OK.

Sorry you got taken. I'm so overly suspicious, I wouldn't have fallen for a "dead puppy" story. That's the problem of the other breeder, not getting involved. That's another reason I demand a full questionnaire filled out before I do anything else. If the buyer can't be bothered, neither can I.

I did the google thing and got a hit for a listing in the paper of people that had been indicted by the local grand jury. This was pretty easy to find.

I also got a hit for a page on the breeder's website so I poked around there a bit. I think there's a reason why reputable breeders will not market puppies around Christmas, even if it means keeping puppies a bit longer than they ordinarily would, and if they must then their screening process gets a lot tighter. I know times are what they are, but that website just asked for this kind of person to come knocking. Right there on the first page it was almost like walking into a mall pet store with a big sign: "Puppies, puppies, puppies - get your Christmas puppy here!"

I'm sorry this happened, but I'm mostly sorry for the puppy who will wind up who knows where, and hopefully there's a lesson or two in here somewhere.

Christmas Puppies????
I did the google thing and got a hit for a listing in the paper of people that had been indicted by the local grand jury. This was pretty easy to find.

I also got a hit for a page on the breeder's website so I poked around there a bit. I think there's a reason why reputable breeders will not market puppies around Christmas, even if it means keeping puppies a bit longer than they ordinarily would, and if they must then their screening process gets a lot tighter. I know times are what they are, but that website just asked for this kind of person to come knocking. Right there on the first page it was almost like walking into a mall pet store with a big sign: "Puppies, puppies, puppies - get your Christmas puppy here!"

I'm sorry this happened, but I'm mostly sorry for the puppy who will wind up who knows where, and hopefully there's a lesson or two in here somewhere.

Here we go again, judging how other breeders market their puppies. No one deserves this, no one asks for this. It has happened to even the toughest screeners and top breeders.

Do you know that many shelters in the New England area who import puppies from other countries also market and sell their puppies as Christmas puppies too.

I'm not sure where you get off blaming this person, who was trying to help someone out, for this horrible thing that happened to her.

And where do you get off saying that I was criticizing Sadie for trying to help them out? You know, somewhere between a person that quietly sells a litter every other year and someone that has 50 dogs and three litters a month there is a line. That line varies depending on a lot of factors - some people can handle more volume and do everything in the best interest of their personal dogs and the breed, and others should not breed their second litter. As stewards of the breed we need to be aware of good and bad practices, breeders, etc. If you don't care enough about the breed to do a little policing and public awareness, then maybe you should reconsider your involvement.

what was the outcome of this. did you ever get paid?