Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kong toy chewed up

my 16 month old girls chewed up a black Kong original toy within 3 days.

this has nevered happend in the past 15 years with any of my other labs eating a black kong toy.

are they making them cheaper, or are my girls the worst agressive chewers

please advise

Re: Kong toy chewed up

If you know who the devils are that ate it then I'd be thinking about making them vomit it up. Feed them some white bread; maybe a piece or so and then give hydrogen peroxide mixed with some water. Walk until they start to vomit. I wouldn't want that stuff in the belly for long. In answer to the quality question about Kongs I don't know. I have 2 extra large black ones out back that we've had for at least 2 years. I have aggressive chewers.

hello,

the little angels did not really eat it, they just chewed up, pieces of black kong every where

I am so dissapointed, as i do not know if it is the quality of kong or the angels. our other labs have never chewed up an original black kong

its the original size black extreme.

they also chewed up an extra large mammoth toy tire (they did not eat it, but tore chunks out of it)

I wanted to get them some good toys they could not chew up.

they had chewed on the water bucket, and their igloo dog
house. they now have a house they cannot chew up.

they are in a large kennel 6 x 24, and they have a large fenced in back yard to play. However, I cannot trust them to be un-supervised because they started chewing on the water hose, and childrens slide.

they are 16 months, and gorgeous, and my future, but i have to wonder if they will out grow this chewing habit.

They are bored and need a job to do....maybe some obedience training? Are they outside all the time?

When they need something to chew on try the big raw marrow bones( shanks) from your butcher. Make sure they are long and good sized width, so they don't try to swallow them. They are great occupiers when you can't be with them.

What about chew toy / bone recommendations for a dog who's allergic to beef? No shanks here, but would love to find something for her to chew on.

I've used Zogoflex toys for puppies. Not sure if they would stand up to adult Lab assalt, but they are guaranteed!

After my guys are done with the marrow. I layer the inside of the bone with, first peanut butter, dry kibble, repeat and freeze. My guys love them.

Might want to try the Busy Buddy Squirrel Dude by Premier. Very tough to get the food out of with the little flaps inside the opening. I would get the Large or extra large size depending on your dogs size.

Very tough toy. And yes..our dogs do excel at those things they spend a lot of time doing. So perhaps a bit of trick training or obedience each day would help with mental stimulation. Trick training and Obed. games don't need to take long. 10-15 min. a day .

Dogs do get slab fractures from any weight bearing bones if they are aggressive chewers.

My Squirrel Dude toys have lasted through many dogs.