Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Raliegh Durham Specialty

I just saw Jill's post on the dates and venue change for Raliegh Durham. I've been attending RDLRC specialty for years and they always put on a great show with good ol' southern hospitality, FYI I'm not a member.

I'm am so excited for the venue change as I'm sure most people are. Having the specialty in conjunction with the Gotta Be NC Festival is genius and the judges are awesome as well. I hope everyone takes a look and plans on coming!

http://www.gottobencfestival.com/#1

Re: Raliegh Durham Specialty

I for one am not happy about the change in venue and time for numerous reasons - (1) Not thrilled about the indoors; (2) Not thrilled about the crowds from an event like that listed and (3) Not thrilled about the time of year as most of my dogs are out of coat right after Potomac.

RDLRC has always held a special place in my heart as it is the first specialty I judged. I can still remember the day vividly and the fun time I had with Sally Bell (co-judge).

While I know the hotel has gotten rundown (even more) over the years the grounds were so quaint and quiet for our Labrador crowd.

Sad to see the venue change. I will have to pass this year :o(

Agree completely with Michael's comments.

So sad about the venue change. The motel was not up-to-date, but it was clean if old. The grounds are the best I have ever seen, all along the east coast and west to Ohio.

Re: Raliegh Durham Specialt y

Will be really tough for the Labs this way to hold any coat for the show... Potomac is a stretch for most of us to keep hair. There were enough hotels close to the old show site if the one on site grossed you out. If the club was trying to improve numbers, I just don't think this is going to work.

Wow, then I guess Miami Valley will not have entries because of coat. What a shame all of you that loved the Thursday, Friday and the location didn't come and support the Show. The Club works hard to do the right thing and continue to have a show, sure hope you will give us a try . If you think so much of the Club how about not trying to defeat what they are working hard to do and just not come if you don't think it is for you. I will also bet the farm that most of the negative post will come from the same few members of the Club. What a shame that this would happen on a Labrador Forum when folks that put on a show work so hard. Those who come will be glad they did, naked dogs or not because we are going to take care of you. Yes, I am a Club member and I would never tear anyone's efforts down, and when you have no idea of the facts! I was wondering if those making comments have ever been to the grounds or the Festival . Club members are donating countless hours to take over jobs we used to have to pay a lot for to keep a show. Please support us if you can, but if not do no harm.

I also noticed when looking at Specialties that I may attend that there are shows in late May in PA. Hang on to those coats. Maybe the Judge can really see if that is a true muscular otter tail or a boat load of fur carved around a wet noodle when exposed.
Just kidding, I pick my shows by the Judges , not inside , outside, or on the moon. Everyone needs to get over this one because it does no good except to make someone look like a big bully telling other how they should think and what they should do. After all there are so many Specialties we can all find a few to float our boat. Come on let's stay focused on the big prize, Potomac!
Cones, tents, host hotel, parking, venues, crowds, Judges.....can't wait for the really big show!

Funny thing is, when one of my bitches won a major totally naked, I mentioned to the judge about putting her up with no hair. Judge commented that it was easy to see her great structure and hair was something that would grow back...

I agree completely with Michael. We love the grounds, yes old motel, cheap cheap cheap, which was nice and help pay for gas. Grounds were perfect for show and dogs walking later. And par ty the best place. Nothing to do with coats. Just not crazy about driving in the new area and loved, loved the outside show in the mild Winter in N.C. Everyone gather around the rings, could not beat it. Potomac nice but we are talking other great shows.

Are the rings really going to be indoors??

I loved the old venue, and the Bates Motel was the BEST ! Grounds were fabulous !

It's my understanding that haveing the show at the old venue was a hardship for the club because it was outside of Raliegh (jump in anyone that knows the rules). Also because of the dates were during the week, club members were having to take more time off work costing them money out of their pockets. Again, I'm not a club member so someone jump in here and clarify a little more.

As for the old venue - yep, the outside space was great but last year and the year before, the other hotel "clientelle" there was a bit scary and made me feel uneasy. Staying in a dumpy motel is onething but feeling unsafe is another.

As for moving the dates to May and it being indoors, there are other specialties indoors and late into the spring and people still show up and have a great time.

Raliegh Durham as gotten smaller and smaller every year and I hope for the sake of the club this move is successful!

Complain all you want but one thing's for sure, you can't win if you don't go.

I love the Raleigh Durham specialty, try to go every year and even had the honor of being asked to judge there a few years back. While the hotel may have been lacking, the grounds and weather were great, it was a wonderful place to take the youngsters and it was at a great time of year. Not sure why their entries have been declining through the years, partly due to economy? , but almost every club seems to be having this problem. For those that didn't support Raleigh Durham in the past, you missed out on something very special. I wish the club all the best and will miss ending my year with Raleigh Durham.

While change is inevitable in all aspects of life, I, for one, am glad that the Raleigh Durham Specialty is changing locations. The Smithfield site was as lumpy bumpy as a southern cow pasture and the fire ants are usually hungry! At one time the site hotel sold out all rooms. You had to make your reservations a year in advance. Over the past several years it was not even 25% full. If everyone loved the show site so much, why was it not sold out? The owner commented to me last year that he “was losing room rentals because the hotel appeared sold out due to all of our vehicles. We may ask for a 3 night minimum stay to continue to accommodate the show.”

It was fantastic to be able to sit around the ring and yack with everyone, I do not see why we can’t do the same at the new location. We will be the only dog show there and should be as “relaxing” and fun as any other specialty. And what an opportunity for the public to see what Labradors should be.

As far as economics and showing, the hotel rates in the Raleigh-Durham area are MUCH more economical than most Specialty cities and the drive to the new show site is no further than the old site.

Looking forward to exhibiting at the Raleigh Durham Specialty in May 2013!!