Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Teaching Force Retrieve/FF

I have FF about 9 dogs that I can think of and still hate doing it. Right now I'm at the point where they'll grab for bumper as long as my hand is on it but not from the ground.

Anyone have great FF tricks from A-Z they'd like to share? I'm doing 4 pups almost 6 months old. One is done and is going to pile already but the other 3 are "stuck" at learning taking it from the ground and I am so tired!

Please no flames, only experience and advice, thanks.

Re: Teaching Force Retrieve/FF

Hi!

Start your session with having the bumper at his/her level and gradually lower the bumper to the ground. For some reason it is difficult for a dog to get the "concept" of picking it up from the ground so: rest part of the bumper on your foot with your hand holding the bumper. Then have your hand near the bumper without touching it and gradually increase the distance of your hand touching the bumper. What ever you do take your time and make a little progress at each session. Each time you have a failure just return to fetch from the front, you will get there!

You can also step on one end of the bumper once you put it on the ground to make the other end stick up. Eventually you would phase that out.

Both are good suggestions. Progress slowly, inch by inch and day by day. The next hard one is convincing the dog that it can actually walk withe the bumper. They will retrieve it when thrown, but. Pick it up and walk with it.... It all comes togetjher in the end, but some take days/weeks longer for the light bulb to go on.

Good luck!