Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cow Hock

I have read several great threads regarding bitches that are cow hocked however I was not able to find any regarding dogs. I am wondering if these same perspectives are correct with dogs also. If there is no difference I understand but I am curious to see if that is the case.

Our boy is almost 10 months old and when standing four square his legs turn in to the point where they are approximately 2-3" apart and his feet turn out. This has been described to us as "Cow Hocked". We have received recommendations in both directions, "Hold on to him and wait." and the opposite "Let him go.". We plan to begin an exercise program based on a valued opinion to see if this will help however I would like to know if there has been long term success with them out growing it with proper exercise (swimming, running, climbing, etc).

Re: Cow Hock

I've done it with rescues. What are you feeding him, specifically? Some pups can't handle low calcium Large Breed Puppy food, even though other lines may do well on it. Are his feet flat, too? Add chicken collagen, such as the keel cartilage and ends of bones, beef knuckle bones, oxtail soup. A friend just did it with having the butcher grind chicken feet and making chicken feet stew (or raw), etc. Seriously. With an exercise program, that should help him tremendously at his age. If he is slow growing, it may take a year to totally get through this, but you should start seeing an improvement within a month. Also add some Vitamin C, as one would do for pasterns. You've held him this long. Just make sure that you train him with manners and socialization in case that he doesn't meet your goals at age 2 or 3 years. Collagen Complex is a product I used to use with rescues; I don't know if it is still available. It is a product for people.

One more thing: go slowly on running and just do it for a few minutes, and on soft surface. This pup is still going through major bone growth. If it is HIS idea to run a bit, fine. Sitting in a crate all day isn't going to build muscle. The muscle and the other soft tissue is a lot of what will help. Some just don't develop much inner thigh. Go to someone in doggy physical rehab to get ideas of the proper exercise for him. If he pulls a groin muscle or ligament, you could be in worse shape.

Good luck.

I had a bitch that was cow hocked when she was growing. Today at 3 years she's not.
She had lots of rear angles when puppy and as soon as she grew into her angles it corrected itself.
Good luck!!

I agree with "Cow Hocked" some puppies as they grow and their angles are not all fully developed can go in the direction of being a little cow hocked. Then as they mature their rear angles correct themselves. I have a female whose puppies start out with good correct rears and as her puppies grow they can appear to be looking cow hocked and then as adults they are back to correct rears. You need to know how the rears are on the parents or other siblings that are older to help with the answer to which way your boy will go. How was his rear at 8 weeks? If he had a good rear at 8 weeks he could be just going through a growing stage. I would give him more time to grow out of it, especially a male. To many are in such a hurry to just give up on them so young. I have a boy now who is 2 1/2 and is just now coming together and looking like he did at his 8 week evaluation when he was pick of the litter.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your wonderful advise and for sharing your experiences. I appreciate all of you very much! We are going to watch him and implement a regement of excercise and supplements to see how things go. He has a lovely front and a beautiful expression. We will continue to enjoy his company and perhaps in a few months we can get him back in the ring. Thank you all, again.

Don't worry about it. Lots of judges will reward cow hocked dogs. We see it all the time.

breeder
Don't worry about it. Lots of judges will reward cow hocked dogs. We see it all the time.

Then that means it is the right thing to do? Advise someone to show a dog with bad structure just because judges reward it even though it is not correct. We need to keep the breed sound and not just show dogs with faults because other people do it or because some cow hocked dogs win with a professional handler. Two wrongs don't make it right.

Just because a dog might have a sloppy stand does not mean they are cow hocked! Watch the dog moving away, then if the hocks turn in, OK. Just as an additional note I have never seen a cow hocked dog rewarded.
Sometimes I sit with one leg under me, that does not mean I only have one leg!