Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3 week old puppy with balance issues - help?

Hi All,

I have a situation that I haven't run across before and am wondering if any one has advice or experience with this issue...
I have a 3 week old litter of puppies where one of the them does not seem as strong or coordinated as the others in the litter. This puppy seems to have a harder time keeping her head up and will sometimes sway her head back and forth. She will kind of sit with her head down too. She has started to get up and walk but seems off balance and will fall after a couple of steps. She is interacting with her littermates but is not getting around like the others. I did take her into the vet two days ago and she put her on Clavamox for a possible inner ear infection. At the time, her ears weren't open so she couldn't look inside but is treating her for this as a possible cause.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had anything similar and if, with time, this will resolve. I am so sad about this and am praying she turns around. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Re: 3 week old puppy with balance issues - help?

She may be a bit behind in her development. Put some bathmats down with the rubber up so that she can more easily get her balance. Could just be muscle development. Hope it's not serious. We invest a lot of emotional energy into these little guys and it's heartbreaking to see one that struggles.

Yes. . .
include your email and I will communicate with you.

Sure, here it is. Thanks!

It is way too early to be concerned. Relax and enjoy her. If she continues to exhibit unusual behavior, you can ask your vet about it at the well puppy exam at 7-8 weeks.