Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2-Year Old Male Vomiting Every A.M.

I have a two year old male Labrador that has been vomiting at least twice every morning for the past week to 10 days. This happens as he is just waking; he is still in his crate and has not yet eaten breakfast. The vomit contains no food or foreign objects; it's more of a foamy, mucousy-type liquid. His stools, appetite and attitude are all normal. Has anyone had an similar issue?

Re: 2-Year Old Male Vomiting Every A.M.

He's probably hungry. Try giving him a cookie before bed.

I don't think it has anything to do with being hungry. I take vomiting VERY seriously, as my crew (alive & deceased) vomits maybe twice in a lifetime. My MoMo, who is now deceased, never vomited in her entire life. I know that is (probably) hard to believe. I would speak to your vet and tell him/her that it's not food and exactly what it is your boy is vomiting. This could be a serious (or not) stomach issue. I doubt it's torsion or he would be in some serious pain. Remember, dogs don't show pain or complain like humans .. not until it's too late.

I have a couple who do this since I made a food switch. More than likely it's Empty Stomach Syndrome, especially since it's bile and foam. As the previous poster said, a cookie before going to be should help. If that doesn't work, a Pepcid in their last meal would help also.

Of course, a trip to the vet to make sure nothing else is going on is highly suggested.

Thanks for the helpful info. I have an appointment for him tomorrow just to be sure nothing else is going on.

Marjorie
I don't think it has anything to do with being hungry. I take vomiting VERY seriously, as my crew (alive & deceased) vomits maybe twice in a lifetime. My MoMo, who is now deceased, never vomited in her entire life. I know that is (probably) hard to believe. I would speak to your vet and tell him/her that it's not food and exactly what it is your boy is vomiting. This could be a serious (or not) stomach issue. I doubt it's torsion or he would be in some serious pain. Remember, dogs don't show pain or complain like humans .. not until it's too late.

Maybe, maybe not. Give the dog a cookie before bedtime each night and the next morning you wake and he's vomitted, then take him immediately in.

That's a good compromise here. My guess it's Empty Tummy Syndrome. Even my older dogs will do it when I cut their food back a bit because they are getting too padded. :) Good luck.

One of my dogs did this and we thought it was empty stomach too and we also did the Pepcid both of which helped BUT it was a squeaker in her stomach that was causing the trouble. We did a barium X-ray and the next day she was finally able to vomit it up. Good luck with your dog - hope it is something simple. Oh by the way it took 2 months and 3 vets to finally figure it out.

My first thought was a partial intestinal blockage. If completely blocked they will stop eating and even drinking, but a partial can go on quite a while. And, they won't normally act sick or as if in pain.

I'd definitely run barium. Good luck.