Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cardio clearance

Is 11 months of age ok to have a bitch pup Echo cleared for future breeding? We don't often get a cardiologist in our area and I am not able to drive a day there and a day back to get it done right now.

Re: cardio clearance

You won't be able to register the results with OFA, but you can get the vet to fill out the form and provide you with official results so that you have it in your files. Results shouldn't change at this point. Or you can wait if you think the cardiologist will come again next year this time. Depending if this will be a deciding factor in keeping the bitch or not.

ticker
Is 11 months of age ok to have a bitch pup Echo cleared for future breeding? We don't often get a cardiologist in our area and I am not able to drive a day there and a day back to get it done right now.

You can only get an evaluation prior to one year, you cannot get a "clearance". The vet I work for prefers to evaluate hearts at no less than 18months.

TVD is the main concern in our breed. Dogs with TVD are born with it. It is not a progressive disease, therefore whether its an echo at 8 weeks or 2 years or 10 years a clean T-valve is a clean T-valve. There are other cardiac diseases that come on later that might be worth waiting for an older examination, but if you are looking to get an idea about TVD you could do it at 11 months.

If the vet comes every year, next year your bitch will be 23 months and you could do it then.

Best of luck!

Thanks everyone - we don't often get a cardiologist here - last one was probably 5 years ago. I usually end up taking one dog at a time if we go away on vacation somewhere that has a cardiologist. Makes it difficult to get clearances, but we get them done.