Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coat Question

We brought a 6 year old yellow male from Maryland to live here with us in North Florida last June. He had a massive coat it was super thick with lots of undercoat. He did a lot of shedding last summer. He seems to have lost his undercoat. His top coat is still very thick and looks great, but is there something we can do help is undercoat come back??

Re: Coat Question

Move to New England.

Lots of things affect coat:

- Diet. Higher protein, better nutrition = better coat. The first thing that goes when a dog has a poor diet or health issues is the coat.
- Weather. Cooler weather develops more coat.
- Light. Shortening days (winter) encourages more coat.
- Health. Any health stress, even one you may not notice, will affect coat. You might try worming. You could also do blood work and other health screenings to see if there is some subtle problem.

My guess is that the weather and light are the most significant factors here. Remember the dog went through a stress moving to a new home which can recycle the coat. It may all come back next fall.

Renee
We brought a 6 year old yellow male from Maryland to live here with us in North Florida last June. He had a massive coat it was super thick with lots of undercoat. He did a lot of shedding last summer. He seems to have lost his undercoat. His top coat is still very thick and looks great, but is there something we can do help is undercoat come back??

I've heard this quite often. Hot Weather. Not 100% of the time and there are Labs that have nice correct coats. But the weather is an issue for so many in the southern hot states

Renee

I've heard this quite often. Hot Weather. Not 100% of the time and there are Labs that have nice correct coats. But the weather is an issue for so many

And just to add, it can take awhile for coat to come back too. But I suspect you will never see the same coat in FL that you did in MD.

me
And just to add, it can take awhile for coat to come back too. But I suspect you will never see the same coat in FL that you did in MD.

Probably true, but there's a lot of Texas dogs with fabulous coats - go figure! I think it's 75% genetics, 25% food/climate/etc...

Genetics dictate coat.. weather can help get more of it. I'm guessing your boy stressed with the change, lost his hair and once time passes it will come back. You might consider a high protein, high fat diet to help and possibly run a Thyroid panel, as even a slightly low level (from stress) can inhibit coat growth.

Is the dog neutered? The change in hormones will affect the coat.