Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grooming & Breeder

Just over a week ago I took my bitch to her breeder to haver her give her a bath & once over and to get her opinion on her as 1- i co- own her with the breeder, & 2 - I will be entering her in some upcoming shows. The breeder works at a vets as a groomer, so i thought it would be a good idea to have her go over her. I left her with her for the day, per the breeders request, when I went to pick her up her coat was extra fluffy (which I know is normal after her baths, but fluffier than normal) but also the texture looked different, and did not seem as full. was grooming her today and noticed that her coat is not the same thickness as it was before I took her, and her tail looks like it has been thinned (it was finally getting that full otter tail look). My bitch is in direct competition with the breeders younger one, and I have begun to realize that she does not like the competition. She actually got very nasty the last time my bitch beat hers out (I saw it with a stud dog that she co owns also that was in the ring with a dog that she solely owns). I find it amazing that she does not appreciate that any of her dogs/bitches are winning, maybe I am wrong?

My question is....is there anything I can use to make the coat feel not so soft and fuller? She is entered next weekend and was looking the best she has ever. Would you ask to have her removed from co ownership (there is no contract)?

Re: Grooming & Breeder

She was shampooed a week before the show, so the hardness should come back by a week later. It sounds as though she was blown dry or dried in front of a fan, which would be normal at a groomer's. Depending on when you expect her next season, and with spring coming, she may be blowing coat, and a bath may have shed her out even if no dryer was used to prevent hot spots. It would do the breeder no good to show a huge inconsistency in her breeding stock and the get from it, so unless things are really weird, one wouldn't think that she would act so that she would have undermined herself. Tails shed out a lot on the girls--the piece of string look is described in MRW's book, Advanced Labrador Breeding/Reaching for the Stars.

If you are that concerned or unhappy showing with your breeder, next time, show her where your breeder WON'T be going. Of course, then there will be fewer points, perhaps. Some folks are not good competitors.

DON't take your dog to a GROOMER before a show! Take a brush to the dog, and a wet towel . OR you are wasting your time and money on going ! Obviously the dog's undercoat or what as left of it , was stripped out, washed out, and blown out. You could have held onto that another week , untill after the show. At least you would have been competive then. Learn to care for that coat yourself, and present the dog , the way they are intended, NATURAL.

Couldn't agree more with breeder. I am a groomer too! Don't mess with coats right before a show.

Agreed. Sounds like groomer was use to doing Goldens or a dog they stripe or thin the hair. We all learn as we go along. You will never let this be done again am sure. Entering shows, travel and motels all cost to much to have this happen.

Yeah, but if the breeder was the groomer you would think she would know better.

Ya have a couple or even one litter, and yur the breeder and self-proclaimed expert. Maybe the breeder didn't know better. She might now! OP does.

No closer than 2 weeks prior to a show should you bathe them...and only if they are grimy, or skunked; otherwise just rinse them(can spray them with waterless shampoo) with water and towel. I time my baths when they are on the blow and hair is tufting out of their pantaloons.