Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EAR CLEANER

Would someone please recommend a good ear cleaner recipe? A couple of my dogs get very dirty ears and I wonder if anyone has a ear cleaner recipe they would suggest. I do not find the vet products are that great and surolan generally clears it up but it does return. Has anyone had success with any particular recipe? Thanks.

Re: EAR CLEANER

The 'purple' stuff:

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

1/3 water, 1/3 witchhazel, 1/3 white viniger.

If there is a lot of gunk the purple solution works well by using the above cleaner and than 2 days a week (not the same day you clean) put a few drops of purple solution in the ear and leave it there.

My vet recommended this and it cleared up horrible gunky ears, although it did take a few weeks but the dogs ears remained good afterward.

Good luck

I tried all sorts of concoctions. None worked. I use malacetic ear cleaner to clear her ears up. What my dog has is chronic, if the condition returns I would consider it a chronic condition. So, you have to find the cause. My girl was put on a grain free dog food. Her ears cleared and she is fine. Good luck.

I just use BROWN Listerine, it is an antiseptic. Use two to three times a day for at least 2 weeks if there is already an issue going on. I use it the first of the month on everyone and have never had in issue in the years since, even with my lines which always got infected ears when in whelp. It's worth the try, but you absolutely must use it for the 2 times a day and a minimum of 2 weeks, with ears as bad as your current ones, I'd go three weeks to make sure it's really cleared out.

EAR CLEANER

I wondered what the purple solution was from the vet... they always charged me $30/bottle.... thanks for the receipe!

The "purple stuff" works great for bad ears, the brown listrine for medium/light bad ears. The thing that worked the best for my dogs though, was going grain free in their diet. Now, I might check their ears every few months, but never have to clean them!

NewbieABC
I wondered what the purple solution was from the vet... they always charged me $30/bottle.... thanks for the receipe!

My vet had just started recommending the purple solution back then and making up his own so he gave me a huge bottle. I was shocked but thankful.

I can't imagine what he charges for it now but bet its way over 30 a bottle.

Not sure if you know but it can stain so be careful if dog shakes their head.

I think you can get a clear version of the gentian violet to prevent staining.