Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Beloved Smokey

Sad times at Huntcrest, our beloved old boy, "Smokey", aka Huntcrest Chimney Sweep, has passed over the Rainbow Bridge. Smokey was 17 1/2 years old and such a part of our family, it's hard to imagine him gone. He was from the first litter born here after my husband and I got married, and I gave him to David for our first married Christmas together...

If I can describe him in one word, it would be "Goofy". Everyone coming to visit, no matter the reason, remembered "Smokey". He would first shake hands with any stranger, and then get a toy and toss it in their lap. If they were foolish enough to toss it back to him, the game was on and wouldn't stop until they got up to leave. His retrieves, whether in the house for a toy or outside for a bird were always the same...hop, skip and pounce on whatever...somewhat like our Siamese cat...I wonder if that's where he learned it? He learned to shake hands at 8 wks of age. He always assumed anyone coming to visit was there just to see him. And he made them feel just that appreciated.

Smokey was a Ruffy son, and I was happy to hear Kendall tell me he was the longest lived one she knew of. He was sound orthopedically until his passing, still able to go up and down stairs, etc... He had been diagnosed with an aggressive mouth cancer about a month ago, but that didn't get him. In the end, he had a stroke and we took him in to our Vet's to end it peacefully. She came out to the van, so that he could lay in David's lap the whole time...which was always his very favorite place to be. They were the very best of buddies, with Smokey going to work with David throughout most of his life.

We were most blessed to have this guy in our lives for as long as we did and while there will be other dogs, none will ever take his place in our hearts.

Celebrate his life for me and hug your best buddy today...

Best regards,

Leslee Weiner-Pope
Huntcrest Kennels

Re: Our Beloved Smokey

I am so sorry for your loss. How incrediable to have him with you for so long, what a blessing! Godspeed Smokey!

I'm so sorry for your loss, Leslee - 17 1/2!!! My word, what a wonderful life he lived. Godspeed, Smokey....

Condolences to you and David on the loss of Smokey. I remember when he was a puppy - doesn't seem that long ago.

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a lovely tribute to a very special old fella. He must have been quite a character. There is just nothing better in life than a sweet old goofball to love and adore. Sounds like you and David gave "Smokey" the wonderful life he deserved.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Godspeed Smokey...

I'm so sorry for your loss -- it's always difficult to lose one, especially one who shared their life such a long as he did with you. Your tribute to him was so thoughtful and touching -- thank you for sharing. He was blessed to be with you and I'm know you feel the same about him. RIP Smokey.

Leslee and David,

So very sorry for Smokey's passing. What an incredible long life he had. Your tribute is beautiful. I know he lived in a house of love.

Bandit, my husband and I send our deepest condolences.

My condolences to you and your family on Smokey's passing. He was sure a character it sounds! You were very blessed to have him for so long. Godspeed ole Smokey!!