Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RIGHT NOW: Lab Guide at Crufts video

Go to You tube and the official crufts streaming video. A yellow Lab guide. BTW, that's an English Lab, legs and all! VBG.

Re: RIGHT NOW: Lab Guide at Crufts video

That Lab is what I picture when I close my eyes and think of the standard! God forbid a balanced dog that can move!!! Specialties in the US have really changed the way the show Lab looks, over done in every respect and can't get out of their own way. How nice to watch that gorgeous boy!!! Moving around the show ring or retrieving that dog looks the part.

If you actually went to specialties, you'd see that this beautiful boy would feel right at home!!

I have to disagree, he would not have enough front, not enough coat, too much leg, not fat enough and moves to well to "fit" right in. He is fantastic! It always seems the Labs across the Pond are more moderate than some of our top winning Labs. I think they are all lovely, just a bit different.

You haven't been out much lately then. This dog would easily win BISS here in the US. He is lovely and the day of overdone dogs has been coming to an end for awhile now.

Hummmmmm...
I have to disagree, he would not have enough front, not enough coat, too much leg, not fat enough and moves to well to "fit" right in. He is fantastic! It always seems the Labs across the Pond are more moderate than some of our top winning Labs. I think they are all lovely, just a bit different.

I may get hung out to dry here, but Romeo, who is a lovely dog, would only do well at all breed shows here in the USA. He would not be a top winner at our big specialties. His one big problem, as I see it, is his poor coat. If he carried a proper hard top coat with some undercoat, he would look a lot heavier. His skimpy tail coverage is an indicator of his lacking in coat.

Well I am not sure it is fair to claim he has an incorrect coat without having your hands on him. It could be that he is inbetween coats. If this were to be the case, then you would still be able to feel the correct texture even out of coat.

I do agree if he were in full coat he would have looked heavier...not fat but coat does add the illusion of more.

Poor coat?

The FCI standard states "COAT: Distinctive feature, short dense without wave or feathering, giving fairly hard feel to the touch; weather resistant undercoat."

That is EXACTLY what the AKC standard used to say before the revision.

The Labrador Retriever is known as an English breed. Could it just be that some of the long wavy coats seen in the USA today are the ones that could be considered incorrect?

I think the other poster was talking about the lack of tail...they thought he did not seem to be in full coat. I have not studied it closely enough to see what they were referring to.

I have a boy with a very correct, short coat and he has done well even out of coat because as a judge you can still feel that the correct texture. But his tail does give him away when he is out of coat.

http://www.labradorgolden.gr/en/labrador/males/loch-mor-romeo

I found more nice pictures so of Romeo...

I am quite amazed, how the group of novices here think they have the right to critisize , lamb-baste, and pick a part this beautiful Labrador . I mean really ? Have ANY of you bred a dog that has accomplished that ? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say , Heck NO , you have NOT !
So let me lead you down the path of CLASS AND DIGNITY , and say how about just saying , CONGRATULATIONS, WELL DONE !

breeder
Poor coat?

The FCI standard states "COAT: Distinctive feature, short dense without wave or feathering, giving fairly hard feel to the touch; weather resistant undercoat."

That is EXACTLY what the AKC standard used to say before the revision.

The Labrador Retriever is known as an English breed. Could it just be that some of the long wavy coats seen in the USA today are the ones that could be considered incorrect?

If the Labrador Retriever is known as an English breed then I would guess that the long, wavy coats came from there.

xxxx

If the Labrador Retriever is known as an English breed then I would guess that the long, wavy coats came from there.

hardly

I really cannot even believe that publicly someone would say anything negative at all about the Labrador having such a prestigious win. It is insulting to the judge, the breeder, owner & handler.

All the bashing about overdone/underdone is ridiculous and best left to private conversations with those that choose to commiserate with you. Breed and choose what you want to live with but don't belittle anyone else's dogs that have done specialty winning and/or all breed winning for the sake of some worn-out petty argument. It is shameful and does nothing but make you look small.