Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Semen quality/count not good in young adult male, supplement suggestions?

Just curious what products people are using to improve semen quality?
We are already working with our vet in diagnosing the issue but I am interested in also taking a holistic approach as well and any suggestions on supplements known to increase quality/count are greatly appreciated!!

Re: Semen quality/count not good in young adult male, supplement suggestions?

Went to a stud dog seminar a while back and the repro vet there recommended Vit E and Glyco Flex.

I read that on another thread too, thanks you! :)

At what dosages? You can get Vit E in 400 and 1000 units.

Test for Lyme disease also.

I kept this info regarding stallions and omega 3 fatty acids.

Omega 3 and sperm viability

For those of you who have interest in AI breeding specific to collecting and freezing of semen, Texas A&M has completed a double-blind study of two groups of stallions where one group was fed normally and the other group's feed was top-dressed with extra omega-3 fatty acids. Both groups were collected and frozen, and then their semen was thawed again, in the exact manner as would happen if it was to be used for breeding. The stallions who were fed the omega-3 supplement showed a THREE-FOLD increase in sperm survivability and motility from what they had shown before being supplemented.

After a 14-day "washout period", the groups were reversed, so that the supplemented stallions went back to their normal feed and the non-supplemented stallions were given the extra omega-3s. The now non-supplemented stallions returned to their normal (higher) sperm mortality rate, and the newly-supplemented stallions' semen showed the same increase in motility and survivability as the first group had shown.

There was no change in sperm viability in fresh sperm; only in sperm which had been frozen or chilled. Apparently, the additional omega-3s assist in protecting sperm from damage due to freezing.

This experiment was based on the fact that breeding boars have long been supplemented with omega-3 and -6 for this reason, and it seems to work with horses as well. Of course, dogs are neither hogs nor horses (although I must say, I think I've had dogs over the years that might qualify!), but those Derm-Caps you're giving for healthy skin and coat may be doing more for your boyz than you thought!

The article about this is in "Practical Horseman" magazine. Title: "Stallions: Feeding for Breeding".