Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Timing Advice for Breeding

Need your thoughts on when to breed (bumping up on weekends and shipping avaialability)

Progesterone on Day 12: 3.41
Progesterone on Day 14:13.59

Day 15 is a Sunday and and Day 16 is a Monday

Would you ship on Fri the 14th day for a Sat Delivery and wait til Sunday to breed and then ship again on Monday for a Tuesday (day 17)?

Thanks!

Re: Timing Advice for Breeding

Yes, I would inseminate Sat night or early in the morning Sun then as soon as you get it on Tues.

Timing
Need your thoughts on when to breed (bumping up on weekends and shipping avaialability)

Would you ship on Fri the 14th day for a Sat Delivery and wait til Sunday to breed and then ship again on Monday for a Tuesday (day 17)?

Thanks!

You say the 14th day is a Friday, and you also say that the 15th day is a Sunday. Lost a day somewhere. I would ship immediately, whatever the days are. Confused by this entire post, because today is Tuesday. Are you trying to look back on a past breeding, perhaps to see what went wrong?

Timing

Thanks!

If Day 15 is Sunday, then 3.41 was on Wednesday. Best day to inseminate in a "by the book" bitch is Sunday. Since it is Sunday, 2nd best day is Saturday and then Tuesday. If you can get a Monday delivery, then even better. You can also deliver on Saturday and inseminate on Sunday given that you have a good quality semen with a longer survival time extender.

Thanks. Sorry for the mistype. Day 14 is Saturday.

I am estimating based on the last breeding which did produce 5 puppies.

I do understand that each time may be different, I wanted to prepare for this scenario and to get your advice on when to breed.

Thank you for your considered responses!

Here is a good AKC repro link for you and others for future breedings. It sums up breeding timing and more.

http://www.akc.org/enewsletter/akc_breeder/2011/spring/handbook.cfm

Do blood on the Friday looking for 5.0 plus

Ship Friday for Sat and use Sat, as eggs should be ready by Sat night/early Sunday

If you can get 2 collections, then ship both on Friday in 10 day and use one Sat afternoon and the other by Monday night

Just went through this. And is your vet using. Antech or Idexx. Numbers are different. Alot of our vets down here went to Idexx because Intech keep doing increases and not as acturate. This is what vets are saying. Anyway my girl was 4.2 on Sat. and I had ask for a Monday for Tues. shipment. Then a Tues for Wed. shipment. We have pups coming...and it was Idexx for the first time....made me crazy. Don't think what day she is matters, just the numbers..

Just went through this with my girl

Day 1 was 1/28
Day 5 2/1 Progesterone 0.4 ng/ml
Day 7 2/4 Progesterone 0.8 ng/ml
Day 9 2/6 " 1.4 ng/ml
Day 11 2/8 " 4.1 ng/ml
Day 12 2/9 AI = shipped Friday for Saturday
Day 14 2/11 AI shipped Saturday for Monday
Day 15 2/12 Progesterone 23.7ng/ml AI shipped Monday for Tuesday

Puppies expected 4/13

Thanks everyone. We'll see how the numbers pan out this time!

Just wanted to update on this. Timing went almost exactly as last breeding. Ovulated Yesterday, breeding tomorrow and Monday. Fingers and toes crossed!