Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Help - Maintaing Projesterone during pregnancy

My co-owned bitch absorbed her last litter and we suspected she was unable to maintain a high enough projesterone level to keep the puppies, but we were not positive because she was not projesterone tested throughout her pregnancy. Everything else has been ruled out. The vet did a c-section for one dead pup and her uterus looked excellent. Her blood work and thyroid have been checked. She conceives....she just doesn't get to term.

Our bitch is pregnant again with a good sized litter. We are 21 days from her due date.
We are consulting with our repro vet but I wanted to put this question out there to you all.
Do you know what level the projesterone needs to stay at in order to maintain the litter?

I found this online, An endocrine abnormality that can cause resorption is hypoluteodism.
Hypoluteoidism is when the bitch does not maintain adequate progesterone levels
(greater then 2 ng/ml).

We have been testing her projesterone throughout this pregnancy. It has been going down....I know it's supposed to but we aren't confident how much and when.
We are prepared to give her hormone shots to help take the pregnancy to full term.

Again, she is 21 days from her due date.
Her projesterone levels so far are
March 1 - 13.5 ngms
March 7 - 11.9 ngms

SHE IS AT 7.0 ngms today March 12

If anyone out there can help with this we would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!!

Re: Need Help - Maintaing Projesterone during pregnancy

above 10. make sure you know the number and if it's below your repro vet needs to supplement. I would get a number asap. Different people use different things. I have used Regumate but your vet will use what he uses, that or another type.

Thank you!

We just tested her yesterday and it went from 11 to 7.

How long do you supplement?

if you use regumate every day. you go off of it 48 hours before due date.. if you are at 7 I strongly suggest you discuss with your vet getting her on something fast. That's dangerous

Hutch didn't advocate supplementing till below 5? I don't know if he still does. I would worry about defects in female pups, as found on other sources. Here's the lecture from Hutch I read some time ago. I haven't researched it recently.

http://www.doghobbyist.com/CanineRepro.html

Dr. Hutchison had me give natural progesterone in oil IM if the bitch dropped to 6. When she has to be dosed, you must check progesterone three days later and continue to test to term. Good luck!