Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When is she due?

I have a bitch that was bred surgically on January 9. When counting days do you include the day of breeding or start with the day after to make it one full day? Her progesterone was 4.7 two days prior to the breeding. When would you say she is due? Today? Yesterday?

Also how long do you let them go over before going in to vet?

Thank you

Re: When is she due?

I have her due date as the 11th. Are you sure she is pregnant? Any signs of going into labor?

Yes, she's pregnant, temp drop on Tuesday, off her food, lost mucous plug. I called vet today and they said to call/come in tomorrow am if they don't come during the night. I can palpate at least 1.

Wondering
Yes, she's pregnant, temp drop on Tuesday, off her food, lost mucous plug. I called vet today and they said to call/come in tomorrow am if they don't come during the night. I can palpate at least 1.

If she is having a very small litter, she may not go into a normal labor. I would do just as your vet says. You don't want her to go too many days overdue. Good luck! Please post back how she does!

breeder
Wondering

If she is having a very small litter, she may not go into a normal labor. I would do just as your vet says. You don't want her to go too many days overdue. Good luck! Please post back how she does!

I agree with this reply by breeder entirely.

If it's a litter of under four, 1-3 for example, there is a good chance she will require a csection. I hope all goes well for you and your girl. Good wishes.

I would say she was due Mar 10-11-12

You should see the vet right away

She's in for a c-section right now. X-ray shows one absolutely huge puppy. Never saw one this large in my 10 years of breeding.

One dead pup.

I am so very sorry. The vet made the wrong call, seemingly not believing that a Lab could have only one pup. You probably needed to go in when you noted too much time passed after the whelping signs, or the next morning. You may want to consider a handheld doppler if a small litter ever happens again at your house, to "count" and monitor heartbeats. Even that can not totally help, but the progesterone should have been a good indication of her due date to the vet, and so could progesterone tests on the other end of the pregnancy, predicting whelping. That being said, sometimes stuff happens, no matter what everybody does. Maybe the vet wanted to give Nature and your girl a chance, when too many are quick to cut, no matter what sickness is in the office. So very very sorry.

Thank you. I like the idea of a doppler. Uterus is attached to the bladder - she'll have to have a section next time. We're really not even thinking about that now, we'll be glad when our sweet chocolate girl is home and recovering.

Regardless of the What ifs involved.

I just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss and this overall sad experience. Not all breedings go this way but it is always heart breaking when they do. My thoughts are with you and your girl.

So, so sorry to hear this. Hope your girl is ok.

Wondering
One dead pup.

So sorry for your loss. Breeding really sucks sometimes.