Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tear Stains

How does everyone deal with tear stains on yellows? Are there any tried and true remedies?

Re: Tear Stains

When our now 3.5 yr old yellow boy had some tearing, the breeder told us to simply wipe his face/below his eyes with a soft, damp cloth. Did the trick for us.

I have one yellow who gets tear stains, I give him angels eyes supplement, and he no longer has stains! I just put a sprinkle on his food maybe 2-3 times a week.

cd
I have one yellow who gets tear stains, I give him angels eyes supplement, and he no longer has stains! I just put a sprinkle on his food maybe 2-3 times a week.

You do realize Angel Eyes is an antibiotic?!?

yes I do. I am a medical professional.

My older girls have tear staining also and I don't like it. A couple of questions for CD, being that he is a doctor. . .
Have you used Tylosin (Tylan Powder) instead of Angel Eyes? How much is a pinch? How long have you been using it?

cd
yes I do. I am a medical professional.

And you like giving your dog long-term antibiotics??? I would think as a medical professional, you'd understand the implications and would refrain from antibiotics for cosmetic reasons.

Tylosin is the active ingredient in Angel eyes.

Desatin ointment

My vet prescribed 1/8th teaspoon of Tylan powder sprinkled on food twice a day. My guy is 7 years old and about 100 pounds.