Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
struvite crystals

Please take a look at what came in an email yesterday.

"During a regular check-up in January, the vet suggested doing some urine analysis, just to give us a benchmark as our girl progresses into her "later" years. The tests showed that she had struvite crystals in her urine and her pH level was high (8.5). After a 10-day course of Clavamox, another urine test indicated her pH at 7 and the struvite crystals were still there but at a lower level. The vet suggested a second course of Clavamox, which we completed last week and the urine tests now show her pH at 7.5 and the struvite crystals at a higher level compared to after the first course.

The vet is now suggesting further tests/cultures to see if the bacterial infection is just resistant to Clavamox and we need to treat it with something else to get rid of the crystals - she also wants to do an ultrasound to check for stones and then surgery if stones are found.

She also said given her age, bladder cancer could be a concern, and that often struvite crystals are the result of a genetic pre-disposition."

I got back to the owner and confirmed that the vet never said the dog had a UTI, but decided to treat for one based on the presence of the crystals. This dog is only 8 years old. I have no experience with this but am having trouble accepting that an apparently healthy bitch walked in for a routine check-up and now the vet is recommending more tests and an ultrasound. Does this sound fishy to anyone else or am I in denial?

Re: struvite crystals

PH can change at different times during the day.... I have tested with strips myself and seen this. Also, if the urine sample sits a while, struvite crystals can form - fresh samples is always best. Vit c - makes the urine more acidic, breaking down the struvite crystals(to bowel tolerance). Just the presence of struvite crystals doesn't mean there is a UTI going on -But they can cause a UTI. Was there blood and bacterta in the urine to confirm a UTI?
Sometimes a sterile sample is best if there is questions and then a culture to see what would work best as an antibiotic-if needed.

Best wishes for the girl. Some answers will give some comfort rather than alarm.

I use them too. The best time to test urine is first thHing in the a.m. prior to food or water and in mid stream.

An elevated PH can be an indication of UTI as well as struvites.

A cystosentesis for pure sample is best for doing a culture/sensitivity to pinpoint the type of bacteria for proper meds.

Wondering if the pet owner noticed any symptoms of UTI: frequent squatting, leaking while sleeping, accidents in the house.

Hoping they get on the right meds and clear this up.

No, it doesn't sound fishy to me. The dog is at that age where these things are more common. I doubt the vet lied about the presence of crystals. If left untreated crystals can form into stones and this can result in a life threatening condition. Is the dog going out often enough to potty? Less frequent trips outside can help encourage crystal formation. Is the dog drinking enough? Has there been a diet change? More plant based foods cause alkalinity, meat based foods help with acidity. Too many fruit and veggie treats can throw the balance off, better to add a little canned food instead. A food change might help especially if the owner is adding stuff to make the dog food work.