Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grand Mal Seizure

My boy is 9 yr old. This evening we experienced our second Grand Mal Seizure. He had one about a year ago. Both came on after a bout of vomiting. Both lasted roughly up to 5 min. Recovery was slightly different in each. Last year's seizure was immediately followed with a vet visit. No apparent reason was found after numerous tests. Does anyone know if there is any correlation between the vomiting and seizure?

Re: Grand Mal Seizure

I have a mid age seizing Lab. The grand mal seizures last 15 minutes but are better on phenobarbitol. I have never seen vomiting during a seizure & never heard of it before but I'm just one breeder.

Ask your vet for the best advice. Maybe there is medication for your dog?

It is not unusual for a dog to vomit prior to a seizure. A friend of mine's PBGV always vomits prior to a seizure. I have heard of others say that they use that as a sign a seizure is coming. Vomiting does not cause the seizure. Those that live with a dog with seizures that happen more frequently keep a log to write down all things that lead up to the seizure so they can track the frequency and if there are signs to watch for.
Julia

Julia, Lochbuie Labradors
It is not unusual for a dog to vomit prior to a seizure. A friend of mine's PBGV always vomits prior to a seizure. I have heard of others say that they use that as a sign a seizure is coming. Vomiting does not cause the seizure. Those that live with a dog with seizures that happen more frequently keep a log to write down all things that lead up to the seizure so they can track the frequency and if there are signs to watch for.
Julia

We have a younger lab, siezures started at 2, she will vomit before every siezure. We are always on alert if she vomits. Every one is a grand mal...they last about a minute, minute and a half and then she comes out of it. Everything back to normal within 10-15 minues. No medical reason for doing it other than hereditary epilepsy. We are lucky she only siezes several times a year.

Thank you for all the input. This is only our second seizure, a year apart between them. It has to be the scariest thing to watch. You feel so helpless while it is happens.